Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
So I thought the force-touch trackpad was going to be totally weird to use, so I went to the Apple Store and was playing with it.

The way the presentation made it seem was that it was going to be like a vibrating sensation, but it's not at all. It absolutely replicates a click, and I had to ask to confirm that the machine I was using really had it because it feels so much like an actual click when you press it. It's a total mind freak using it.

The way they have them setup in the apple store is if using with one finger, you can soft press and it feels like you're clicking on a track pad, but then if you press harder, it feels like you're clicking again, a deeper click. If using two fingers, you can only press and get the click once, just like a traditional trackpad.

I had reservations about how it was going to feel in relation to a real trackpad, but after going in and trying it on a rMBP, I am so sold, it's so cool. The hardest thing to get over is the mental hurdle that you're not really clicking, it's all just a sensation that the track pad is giving that you are.

I will say this hasn't gotten a lot of attention because "it just works" but this is definitely a very cool and unique feature I'm excited will come with my new Macbook!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
So I thought the force-touch trackpad was going to be totally weird to use, so I went to the Apple Store and was playing with it.

The way the presentation made it seem was that it was going to be like a vibrating sensation, but it's not at all. It absolutely replicates a click, and I had to ask to confirm that the machine I was using really had it because it feels so much like an actual click when you press it. It's a total mind freak using it.

The way they have them setup in the apple store is if using with one finger, you can soft press and it feels like you're clicking on a track pad, but then if you press harder, it feels like you're clicking again, a deeper click. If using two fingers, you can only press and get the click once, just like a traditional trackpad.

I had reservations about how it was going to feel in relation to a real trackpad, but after going in and trying it on a rMBP, I am so sold, it's so cool. The hardest thing to get over is the mental hurdle that you're not really clicking, it's all just a sensation that the track pad is giving that you are.

I will say this hasn't gotten a lot of attention because "it just works" but this is definitely a very cool and unique feature I'm excited will come with my new Macbook!

That's great feedback - thanks.

I have to say that even if I had no conceivable use for the rMB, it would still be tempting just to play with all the redesigned hardware in this thing. I am probably in the minority, but I'm also looking forward to trying the new keyboard.

Alloy201

Suspended
Mar 13, 2015
Great post and thank you for the information. I really need to downsize and I can't wait to get my hands on the rMB. It's something I need, but part of the reason I want it is to try all the new features. I'm very excited about it, but I know quite a few look down on it.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Great post and thank you for the information. I really need to downsize and I can't wait to get my hands on the rMB. It's something I need, but part of the reason I want it is to try all the new features. I'm very excited about it, but I know quite a few look down on it.

I think it's just the ones who are angry that Apple didn't design it for a prosumer audience are the most vocal on here. Everyone I know who use it for travel, light use, are super excited like you and I.

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014

My experience has been the same with Force Click; I tried it on a 2015 13" MBP. Excellent implementation by Apple and I personally can't wait until developers make full use of it.

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
I went to my local Apple store.

Was playing with a 2015 Macbook Pro for 15 minutes, then asked a shopping attendant 'When are you getting the new one's with force touch?' :eek:

When i found out the truth I was amazed. Can't believe how natural it felt and once I started getting used to the 'deep press' motion it felt great and extremely useful. Really great feature and a true evolution of the track pad.

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014
An added bonus too is that the force to "click" the track pad is now adjustable!

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
After feeling how great the new trackpad feels, I'm hopeful that they did as good of a job on the new keyboard which might be bit trickier.

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2015
I never used to click when I had my MBA, I just got used to touching (not clicking) because of how uneven the trackpad was. For example, I had to click much harder on the upper part of the trackpad than on the bottom part...so I never clicked, just touched...

But now, with the new trackpad it should be even throughout all the track pad...so I'm very excited!!!! Also really curious to see how the keyboard will turn out...since there's bearly going to be any depth to it...but either way, I'll get used to it...But it is probably going to take me a while to get used to clicking again...

Also really curious to see how the keyboard will turn out...since there's bearly going to be any depth to it...but either way, I'll get used to it...

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
Thanks for this OP. There's been so much discussion about performance issues, screen size, ports etc that the new trackpad has simply been overlooked!

Can't wait to try it! :D

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
You guys don't realize this or maybe you do: but I've said it before in other threads - this force touch tech is going to be integrated into the iPhone/iPads - you wait and see because on the current rMBP 13 there is pressure sensitive drawing included in the preview.app - simply pick a pen and the stroke widths are reflected by the pressure of your finger on the touchpad.

The biggest advantage is that with this technology integrated in the iPad, apple has finally built an iPad with pressure sensitivity - yet without a damn pen! This will satisfy all the people who want pressure sensitive digitizer and with this tech, it's finally going to happen.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have to wonder if this wont be something that will break down over longer term use?

I bet it's more durable than the "diving board" touch pads, which, honestly, I've always worried about breaking. The tech in the new trackpad is basically a smaller version of what's in a digital bathroom scale, which is pretty well developed tech.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
One detail about this that I think has been underreported, is that this should (?) minimize the risks of liquids, hair, other small particles to accumulate under the touchpad. I've had it happen with my mid 2012 MBP already after two years of use. The laptop isn't dirty per se and I keep it in a reasonably clean environment, but it can still happen and it doesn't take much; even a hair can be very noticeable, and water can be downright catastrophic.

Since they use this new technology, I assume it's sealed completely to the edges. After all, nothing is being pressed down.

----------

The biggest advantage is that with this technology integrated in the iPad, apple has finally built an iPad with pressure sensitivity - yet without a damn pen! This will satisfy all the people who want pressure sensitive digitizer and with this tech, it's finally going to happen.

I also think this might happen, and pressure pen designers won't be happy. ;) Suddenly, fingers alone offer pressure, or if you want to hold a pen for the "feel", any "dumb" pen designed for a tablet surface would do. Great for users, not so great for profit margins on expensive pressure pens.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I had to switch my new rMBP off to convince myself it really doesn't move it's so realistic!

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013

I am pretty sure that this cannot come into iPads / iPhones since it involves a movable (slightly) touch-sensitive glass on top of 4 pressure sensors. Wobbling screen would not be a good idea for iPad/iPhones.

Size of track pad maybe an another issue, 4 sensors cannot be used for sensing pressure on surfaces that are larger than these trackpads. The centre point sensitivity will be most affected since it would be an average of all four sensors. For larger surfaces, they'll have to put more than 4 sensors that too in centre which may not work. Hence this technology will remain limited to trackpads and magic mouse.

I think first it will come into magic mouse coz of low energy profile, since current magic mouse is already a battery killer.

----------

I also think this might happen, and pressure pen designers won't be happy. ;) Suddenly, fingers alone offer pressure, or if you want to hold a pen for the "feel", any "dumb" pen designed for a tablet surface would do. Great for users, not so great for profit margins on expensive pressure pens.

Adding a pressure sensitive touch pen with this, will increase the sensitivity levels even more. That would be even more great for designers! People will go mad with so much of pressure! :mad: :mad:

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
I am pretty sure that this cannot come into iPads / iPhones since it involves a movable (slightly) touch-sensitive glass on top of 4 pressure sensors. Wobbling screen would not be a good idea for iPad/iPhones...
Does the glass actually move? I haven't played with one yet, but it seems as though the glass is static and it's just a vibrating electromagnet underneath that synthesized the physical movement as a form of haptic feedback.

scottyy

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2015
I absolutely loved it.

It felt odd using my Magic Trackpad when I returned home.

Hopefully they refresh that soon.

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2015
I bet it's more durable than the "diving board" touch pads, which, honestly, I've always worried about breaking. The tech in the new trackpad is basically a smaller version of what's in a digital bathroom scale, which is pretty well developed tech.

SAME!!!, the reason why i got used to touching and not clicking is because i didn't want to break the keyboard..

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
Does the glass actually move? I haven't played with one yet, but it seems as though the glass is static and it's just a vibrating electromagnet underneath that synthesized the physical movement as a form of haptic feedback.
Yeah. It is resting over 4 small springs connected to pressure sensor. They are so small that is hard to see the movement.
This video by ifixit explains it better (after 2:00, it may clear your doubt)

https://youtu.be/x3B3bHt8ya8

Last edited:

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I have to wonder if this wont be something that will break down over longer term use?

My guess is a mechanical hinge would break down faster. This is glass, some pressure sensors and a vibration motor. All things that have been around for a while, just not combined.

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2015
I went to the apple store today and i tried it out AND IM IN LOVE WITH IT...its for sure, without a doubt the best trackpad ever made. I challenge you to think of a better one on any computer...

The click is so effortless compared to the old trackpads, and that secondary click is so much easier than it sounds. I LOVE IT!!!!!

And will I was there I realized how small the 13inch actually is....I havent seen one in s long that it always thought it was thicker....Im rethink the whole rMB now, maybe the pro suits me better..

Anyone know if its possible that apple updates their pros again this summer??

westcoast1

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2015
Great device indeed, but so poor trackpad driver on the Boot Camp side. I hope the alternate Trackpad++ will work for me, otherwise I'd probably give up with Windows. I know, 'simply use OS X', but wouldn't it be cool if this machine plays nice with both OSes.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Or perhaps the opposite, as the pad doesn't actually move at all. It may be more durable in the long run.

It actually does move. I didn't realize which was the 2015 MBP at first because I was looking for the trackpads that didn't give well the new ones do seem spring loaded but not hinged. I doubt the reliability will be much different. There is still a pressure sensor in place of switches.

----------

Great device indeed, but so poor trackpad driver on the Boot Camp side. I hope the alternate Trackpad++ will work for me, otherwise I'd probably give up with Windows. I know, 'simply use OS X', but wouldn't it be cool if this machine plays nice with both OSes.

One million up votes for you! It's pretty lousy of Apple to not write a decent driver. They advertise Windows compatibility but purposefully gimp it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.