Force Touch: where is the drag&drop ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Max(IT), Nov 23, 2015.

1. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

The question could be silly, but as a long time user of the MacBook Pro I'm missing the old good "drag&drop" gesture i used to do on the touchpad, on my new MacBook Pro early 2015.
    I can push (actually I'm not pushing anything) on a file to select it, but I can't find a way to move/copy it to another place.
    An harder push just opens a preview for the file...
    The only option is to "right-click" then copy&paste from the menu ?
    Am I missing something ?

Thanks

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I just keep my thumb down and move my index finger dragging the files. You select the file with a single regular click and just keep your finger there. Think of it as an arching motion over a dot, where the dot is your thumb held down.

3. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

Are you speaking about a two-fingers gesture, right ?

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I guess you can think of it that way.

But my usage of the trackpad has always been one handed with my thumb being the "anchor" that clicks, and while clicked I can move my index around comfortably to move a file.

Hopefully that makes sense.

5. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

tried, and it works, but not as smooth as previous implementation, especially with multiple selections.
    I guess it's a drawback I have to live with.
    Thanks.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Glad so see it works.

For what it's worth, when I got my rMBP with force touch my approach was to literally just use it EXACTLY like I used the previous models. Perhaps you're overcompensating your interaction with the trackpad because of the changes?

7. melpote macrumors member

melpote

Max, I just got my new Macbook Pro today. I was so frustrated about the drag and drop. My hand is too awkward to do the two finger thing. So I went to the system preferences>trackpad. I chose the one finger method in the point and click tab. Now I am able to drag and drop with one finger like I was on my old mac. Hope this helps. Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 9.36.38 PM.png

8. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Are you referring to the 3-finger drag? This is hidden away in the Accessibility preferences.

9. leman macrumors 604

There is a bug with Force Touch that sometimes prevents drag-and-drop. It seems to be largely fixed for me in 10.11.2 (even though it still rarely occurs, which is very annoying).

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'd just use and have always used three finger drag.

11. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

excuse me, I can't understand what setting did you changed.
    Your screenshot seems to be identical to mine, except I'm using the two-fingers for secondary click

12. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I know this is an old thread but the only way I managed to drag and drop was by switching off Force Touch... anybody figured it out in the meantime?

13. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I don't have my Magic Trackpad with me right now, but I can't see where the issue would be. You click and hold using one finger and drag with a different finger.
    Perhaps your issue is that you're pressing too hard and thereby force pressing and activating that function rather than the normal click?

14. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I think that indeed I am pressing too hard but I can't figure out how to NOT do it while using the two-finger drag and drop. Maybe there is a setting I can change but I haven't found it yet.

15. JTToft macrumors 68040

- You either press less firmly or adjust the sensitivity in System Preferences to match the amount of force you would like to use.