Force Western Digital MyBook to NOT sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Steven Jackson, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have an iMac with three daisy chained 500GB HDD drives connected by FireWire. They are set us a concatenated RAID, giving me 1.5 TB for my ever increasing iTunes library! These drives automatically stop spinning when not in use.

However, this functionality is causing problems. The drives are not always available when the iMac expects them to be, leading to pauses, spinning beach balls, and (twice) total freezes followed by kernal panics.

Does anyone know any way, legitimate or hacky, to keep the drives spinning and available all the time?

Thanks,

Steve

2. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I would not recommend doing something like that, as the drives will die a lot sooner, and could overheat if they don't have fans.

3. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm. Any other suggestions for improving my situation?

Steve

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I doubt that. They're more likely do die early because of all the spinning up/down every 10 minutes.

5. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I have a cron job set up to touch a hidden file on the drive every 5-10 minutes in order to keep the drive 'Active' so that it won't auto-spindown. I detailed it a bit in this older thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=298694

It's easy if you're comfortable with the terminal, but hard to explain otherwise.