Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vazrick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Hello,

I have about seven email accounts that I access using Mac's native Mail app, two of which are gmail accounts that are now being utilized by other members of my organization. I no longer have passwords as I'm no longer responsible for the roles/accounts (but I do have ongoing interest in helping those who are following me). I want to keep the emails and be able to search them within Mail, just as I do any of my other accounts. Yosemite's updated Mail app – Version 8.2 (2104) – is much more annoying (than whatever was installed Mavericks) in that it prompts for passwords and becomes unresponsive if I ignore the prompts, and sometimes freezes even if I don't... I click Cancel on the notification pop-ups when they come up.

If I go to Internet Accounts in System Preferences I know that I can stop syncing mail for those accounts. But when I do that I no longer have access to the email archive I had while I was actively using the account.

A little more background:
The two email addresses are both Gmail (administered Google Apps accounts, in case it matters), both utilized by by me when I served as a trustee for a non-profit. Trustees lead standing committees and change positions every one or two years in our organization, and I maintain interest in the organization and provide assistance to new trustees. Twice this week I was able to help by looking up old email correspondence. But I only just now upgraded to Yosemite and the Mail app is a bit of a pain.

Questions:
Is there a way to force Mail (Version 8.2) to stop hounding for password and simply keep the emails I have?
Other suggestions?

Your help would be great, thanks!

Rick

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)
  • OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 (14F27) – updated via App Store from Mavericks 9/19/2015
  • Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
  • Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
  • Startup Disk: 250GB SSD
  • Memory: 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Have you tried taking the accounts in question offline?

Mailbox -> Online Status -> Take "Mail Account" Offline

Never needed to use this before myself, but maybe that will help you.

Pearl Wisdom

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
I'm not sure if this applies to Yosemite or later versions of Mail, but you could copy or move all your Gmail messages to a newly created folder under "On My Mac", and then disable the Gmail account. Then you can search all those messages in the new folder, but no longer have an account which is trying to check new mail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.