forced into replacement products?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Spitroast Panda, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Spitroast Panda macrumors member

Why do apple "force" you to buy the latest model of ipod/pad/etc? As in the new nanos are hideous (IMO :p), and I preferred the gen 5 ones. How come :apple: dont sell these either themselves or via 3rd parties? Once the 6th gen came out, there were virtually no stocks of the gen 5s within a month or so, except ebay or some dodgy retailers i had not heard of before...

2. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Its kind of a silly question, most companies want to sell their latest and greatest.

Check the refurb store.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Their bottom line from convoluted with old stuff that never sells.

5. emaja macrumors 68000

No one forces anyone to buy their products.

Companies announce new products and the old models are taken out of production and disappear quickly from the supply chain.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

So you would also want auto makers to continue producing last year's models so that you could buy a 2009 model cause you don't like the 2010 model? Not going to happen.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As with others, they don't force you. You can stay on the current version if you wish.

I'm on a iPhone 4, I know many people on iPhone 3Gs. I have a 2010 model MBP. I don't buy a new apple product just because its new, but rather the old one is no longer fitting my needs or it needs to be replaced.