iPhone Forced iOS updates by Apple

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by dmj102, May 16, 2014.

1. dmj102 macrumors 6502

Is there a way to stop this if I want to stay with an iOS update that I am happy with. I had auto update off and I noticed that my iPad 4 and iPhone 4 already had downloaded the last update iOS 7.1.1 without my permission.

Obviously, this will happen when iOS 8 comes out. It's not an issue with my iPad 4 since it's 32gig, but my iPhone 4 is 8gig (yes, I know...no need to laugh...I was an Apple newbie early last year) and that's more of an issue.

Here is a link that discusses this. This upsets me that Apple can get away with this. I want a choice with which iOS I want to stay with for whatever reason.

http://www.cnet.com/news/ios-6-holdouts-complain-about-large-unwanted-ios-7-download/

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You want to stay on a security vulnerability riddled deprecated version?

Apple devices aren't for you. Go get Android.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Old news, apple downloads the update and you want to update it then do so. If not then you can ignore it. Many people on iOS6 are not liking it because its a full OS update not just a patch.

As the other poster mentioned, if you don't like apple's approach then the only other option is to go to a different platform

4. dmj102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Too late now, I'm heavily invested with Apple products. I moved from Windows and Android last year to the entire Apple ecosystem. Cost me lots of $$$.

I don't keep sensitive data on my iPhone.

5. nj1266 macrumors 6502a

The update is NOT forced on your phone. It is simply downloaded but not installed. You can simply ignore it and keep using the old version. My iPhone 5 is still on 7.0.4 since it is jail broken.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It may not be forced but it is consuming resources. The patch being a delta is not huge, but as I mentioned, the folks who prefer to stick with iOS6, the space is significant.

7. numlock macrumors 68000

iphone 4 and ipad 4 so no indicator back then for this type of behavior by apple. and as they treat ios7. updates differently this obviously isnt apples typical approach and rather just ostracizing a particular version of phone and ios.

he never said the installation was forced. when half of an 8 gig device is taken up by the update its lunacy to suggest one to simply ignore it.

8. CutterSlade macrumors regular

CutterSlade

That's so true. Downloading the update should have been optional.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

I believe at least since iOS 7.1 Apple is allowing users to delete the automatically downloaded update (not sure if it would try to automatically download it again after that, but hopefully not). Doesn't help much those who are on a version below that, but at least it seems like Apple started doing something about it (at least more than before).

10. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

So the newer version is perfectly secure and is not security vulnerability riddle deprecated version?

11. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It's not. Nor is Android. But the newer version usually is more safer and secure then the older ones.

12. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Go to Settings > Usage and delete the downloaded data. (If you have 7.1 and don't want 7.1.1 that is)

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

"New is always better."
    - Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

:cool:

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

If you buy a larger capacity iPhone the update file won't seem so huge.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

And yet it would still be something that would needlessly take up to 3 GB or so of
    space without your permission or control.

16. cube macrumors G5

You are forced to update if you need to reset the phone.

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Truthfully, I'm not sure how much space Apple is taking up on my iPhone or iPad. They are supposed to have 64 GB and 128 GB. That isn't what I see as available even after a fresh restore. So they could be using any amount.

18. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

There is always space taken up just by the operating system itself. That's why you don't see the "full capacity" even after a restore.

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Fortunately, you can sell that stuff for $$$. Definitely not what you paid for it, but a good amount of it.

A lot of people think this is true, but the fact that you can even make calls, use cellular data and potentially rack up chargers doing those things, makes your phone inherently sensitive.

20. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

So you never log into any websites or apps that require a login?

You don't use any of the built-in apps like Mail or Calendar or Facetime?

You don't use any apps that use the push mechanism?

21. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Apple can get away with whatever they want. No matter how many people they upset, they are always people that will buy the product.

22. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Handful of niche enthusiasts vs common consumer is radically different. Catering to that upset 5% instead of pleasing the blissfully ignorant 95% would be revenue suicide.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's good that you don't care about it, but it doesn't mean the the problem isn't there or that ignoring it (by perhaps having more capacity, which might still not work out for some people who would have a lot of things on their device themselves) is an actual realistic viable solution.

24. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

If it means losing my jailbreak, yes.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not sure what catering to anyone has to do here as far as providing an ability to at least remove an unnecessary download on your own device, which Apple seemingly finally even started providing as of iOS 7.1.