Forced iPhone restore when attempting to update to 9.0.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MusicEnthusiast, Sep 26, 2015.

1. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Did anyone have to go through this? I was on 9.0 when I set everything up this afternoon on my new 6s plus. Then when attempting to update via the computer in iTunes, the updated failed and I had to initiate a restore since updating wouldn't fix my iPhone. It was stuck on a gray screen.

Can anyone vouch for the same error I received tonight? It was so random... no problem setting things back up, but I definitely don't want this happening with every update in the future.

2. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

When I restored yesterday I didn't have time to update to 9.0.1 but now I think I'm going to hold off until the next update.

3. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

4. flyingturtle macrumors regular

I got stuck on a gray/white screen with an unresponsive slider bar, when restoring my iPhone backup from iCloud. It wanted to upgrade to 9.0.1 and got stuck.

Not sure if you ran into the same issue, but I had to connect to iTunes and hold down a couple of buttons and it fixed. I read Apple's guide on how to fix this:

If your iOS 9 device is stuck on Slide to Upgrade
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205239

5. Cuechick macrumors 6502

Cuechick

I had the same issue, was on chat with support for hours (literally, over 4!) because we could not get past it. She thought it has something to do with my old iPhone's password which was in the back up blocking the update. I was set to get a new phone and then decided to try the restore without the sim card in and that finally worked!

6. MusicEnthusiast thread starter macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

I'll definitely do OTA next time. Thanks for the replies guys.