Forced Logoff in 10.5.2

Discussion in 'macOS' started by musicforme, Apr 20, 2008.

1. musicforme macrumors member

musicforme

As I didn't personally witness the issue, I only have my wife's input to provide as evidence.

She was working on her Master's Thesis last night and both of our profiles were forced to log off the Mac. She described it as "working on her Word document and it suddently went to a blue screen where we logon". We were both logged on and had programs running. She had Firefox 2 and Word 2004, and I'm fairly certain I only had Firefox 2 open with a number of tabs. This occurred on a Early 2008 Mac Pro with 6 gigs of ram.

Based on what she described and her not being familiar with how a Mac boots due to our infrequent reboots (we switched in January), I assumed there was a kernal panic and it rebooted. Once I got on the Mac later last night, I saw the uptime was still 3+ days, so a reboot did not occur. For informational purposes, our Mac is scheduled to automatically sleep at night.

I checked the CrashReporter logs in both profiles and there was nothing to be found from yesterday. Any ideas what would have caused two profiles to logoff and close everything, but not reboot? I'm new to the Mac and don't know what other logs to check.

2. musicforme thread starter macrumors member

musicforme

3. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Did the applications remain open, or did they quit?

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Based on that Apple discussion thread, the log shows that WindowServer crashed. When that happens, the whole login session goes down in flames. Exactly what you described seeing. It is interesting that most people seeing it are running Office 2004 on Intel at the time it happens. Either Office apps are prone triggering it, or Rosetta is triggering it.

Did it ever happen before 10.5.2? You can probably expect a fix in 10.5.3.

5. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Would also be interesting to know if anyone running Office 08 has had the problem. I haven't had that particular glitch yet, but have had my 24" imac try to boot from a gray screen for up to 5 minutes. Sometimes does, sometimes I get impatient.;) This started with 10.5.2 DiskWarrior 4 hasn't helped...