Forced restarts after Fusion 3.1 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wilsonhaven, May 27, 2010.

1. wilsonhaven macrumors member

My system forced me to reboot a couple of times with a message to press and hold the power button until the system powers down. My only recent updates are the 3.1 update and upgrading iStat Menus to the current release. Checking here to see if others are having a similar problem or it is a known fusion 3.1 problem. I'm checking at iStat too. I'll update with what I find. Thanks.

System: Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I'm running Fusion 3.1 and iStat Menus...neither has forced me to reboot.

3. scottp122 macrumors newbie

Just installed the 3.1 update and have seen a number of problems. Twice my system has frozen while in a VM (once in a Windows 2003 Server VM and once in an XP VM), forcing me to do a hard reboot. I regularly run two Windows VMs (C++ development of client/server systems), and have had no problems until installing the 3.1 update. Then last night I heard my system humming away (while closed) and found it to be very hot. I opened it up and it was frozen, forcing me to reboot again.

I'm new to the OS X / Fusion / Windows world, and I definitely tax the hell out of things, but it's been amazing and incredibly productive until installing the update a few days ago. I'm hoping this is just a fluke and it'll settle down soon .. if not I'll need to figure out how to revert to 3.0.

Cheers,

...scott

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03

4. scottp122 macrumors newbie

OK .. I had to do another hard reboot after my Windows XP VM locked up. This never happened until installing Fusion 3.1 a few days ago.

Will there be any problems if I uninstall 3.1 and reinstall 3.0.2? Are VMs that have been run under 3.1 compatible with 3.0.2? I assume that the VMWare Tools app installed in the VM would need to be downgraded to the 3.0.2 version? Sorry .. I'm new to all of this, and since it's just been running flawlessly for months I haven't needed to really know more about this technology. I guess it's time to read up on things before I shoot myself in the foot and lose a VM.

...scott

5. scottp122 macrumors newbie

OK .. I uninstalled Fusion 3.1, then reinstalled 3.0.2. I've been working with multiple parallel VMs without trouble again. There is definitely something funky with 3.1.

6. Da Swede macrumors newbie

I had this problem with Fusion 3.1 well over 6 months ago, and it appears it's still a problem now!

The broad strokes;
    2010, 21.5" iMac, OS X 10.6.x, 8GB RAM, running Windows 7 Ultimate bootcamp.
    Was fine running Fusion 3.0. UG'd to 3.1 and things started to slow down until every mouse click would bring out the beach ball. Downgraded back to 3.0 (instructions here for different versions but same procedure - look for WoodyZ: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1403646#1403646) and everything went back to how it was.

Fast forward to present day. The same user has once again upgraded Fusion, now to 3.1.2 and the iMac's Windows side is again unusable. I'm just about to downgrade again to 3.0. Hope it does the trick again! :confused: