Forced subtitles

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by elfy, Feb 17, 2014.

1. elfy macrumors 6502

I've been ripping and adding my DVD collection to Apple TV and only today found out about forced subtitles. That is, subtitles for those small foreign language sections in English speaking movies. I only just realised these aren't always automatically included in the finished file.

A couple of things, is there a definitive list anywhere of movies that contain sections like this? I've found a couple of lists but they only have a couple of hundred movies at most. I want to be sure which of the hundred or so movies I've already done will need to be redone.

Also, for future reference, is there any reason not to just choose the 'foreign audio search' option under the subtitles tab and check the forced checkbox, as a matter of routine when converting in future? Am I right in thinking it will just apply subtitles to these foreign language sections, if there are any? Does it make a difference to file size?

2. mic j macrumors 68030

I've always gone here, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjJJQ9cOO5PicFBIRVFYcmVhb2pGeldFb1ZiVUx3UUE&hl=en#gid=0 to find which movies have subtitles and what type and where in the movie they are located. Not sure it is a "definitive list", but it is the best I know of.

The only downside I can think of to always doing the foreign audio search is the added time it takes, which is not huge but it is real (it scans the entire file using an algorithm designed to find forced subs) . I started doing it for a while and found there are just too few movies with non-burned in subtitles to be worth the extra time for each transcode. Instead, for anything I suspect even might have a soft sub, I go to the index (above) to check first. Very very rarely I would miss a movie containing soft subs. In those instances, I would just download and srt and mux it into the movie file.

Not sure what you are asking about file size? Are you asking if the scanning for forced subs impacts the file size if no forced subs are found? If forced subs are found, they are burned in and you would be hard pressed to notice any file size change.

3. elfy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Yeah, that was one of the lists I found. Just thought there may have been more examples of this kind of thing in movies. This was the other list I found https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AkGO8UqErL6idDhYYjg1ZXlORnRaM3ZhTks4Z3FrYlE&usp=sharing.

I wasn't really sure how including these subtitles impacted file size or if it even did. Or if I made it scan for subs but didn't find any, whether or not it would then include some kind of empty subtitle track that would make the file size bigger? Like I say, I just found out about these today so I don't really know much about them. :)

4. mic j macrumors 68030

Yea, I've looked at that spreadsheet as well. Good to take a look at both for into.

The scan for subtitles will not change the file size. Just adds to the transcode time by making it a 2 step transcode process.

5. elfy thread starter macrumors 6502

Good to know. Thanks man.

6. rayward macrumors 68000

Mic J and I have had this conversation before, I believe, about scanning for forced subs. At this point, I rip and transcode maybe one movie a week, so I just go ahead and run the scan. It has never failed* to pick up the non-English subs, and it takes but a few minutes compared to the 2-3 hours to encode the entire movie.

No right or wrong here. I like the "fire-and-forget" methodology of the forced sub scan, but each to his own.

* I do, however, save my original rip until I have watched the movie to make sure that any necessary subs are there. Haven't needed to yet but, in theory, it will save me having to re-rip my BD in order to re-encode with the correct subs.

Basically, you're going to spend time doing this. It's up to you where you spend it.

7. elfy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I've run a few today and scanned for the subtitles. The scan has taken 3-4 minutes at most so it's not a great hassle to just run it each time to be sure.