Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
a lot of sites have a button on the bottom to take you to the full version. if they dont, get atomic web browser from the app store and set it represent itself as desktop safari in the preferences. problem solved!

Lumpy05

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Bloomington, IN
a lot of sites have a button on the bottom to take you to the full version. if they dont, get atomic web browser from the app store and set it represent itself as desktop safari in the preferences. problem solved!

Hmm, I dont think there was any option on that particular website. I dont really want to use the space to install another browser on my ipad but if all else fails will give it a shot! Thanks for suggestions.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Hmm, I dont think there was any option on that particular website. I dont really want to use the space to install another browser on my ipad but if all else fails will give it a shot! Thanks for suggestions.

atomic is generally better than safari, it has tabs and you can even use facebook chat when you set is as a desktop browser in addition to not having to view mobile sites. you should really consider it as a safari replacement

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Most auto websites are HEAVY into FLASH so you have little to no choice. Even the mobile sites use it and you need to get on your desktop!

You need to forget GM and go to Ford and Toyota!:eek:

Lumpy05

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Bloomington, IN
Most auto websites are HEAVY into FLASH so you have little to no choice. Even the mobile sites use it and you need to get on your desktop!

You need to forget GM and go to Ford and Toyota!:eek:

Good point on the FLASH content.

Not buying just browsing the new Regal, the potential GS version caught my eye. Right now Im a loyal Honda/Acura buyer.

hexspeed

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2009
<<begin rant>> I'm glad someone else is annoyed by web designers who trap you into mobile versions of their sites -- GM is one of the worst offenders (and, no, it doesn't offer the option to view the full site). When this happens, I usually take an extra minute or two to comment back to the site owner if they've offered a "comments" link (and, again, no, GM doesn't offer a "comment" link so they apparently don't care what you think about their sites). <<end rant>>

leons

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
I'm jailbroken, and the UAFaker switch doesn't seem to be working. Anyone else try it?

mklnk

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
Notice occasionally browsing the web on ipad. On some sites, for example

http://buick.com/regal/2011

no matter what I tried I am forced to the http://m.buick.com website.

The mobile version of the website is extremely limited. Is there a way to force ipad safari to go to the non mobile website?

Not sure if this will work with every website, but typing out the "www." usually works for me.

"facebook.com" for example, forwards me to "m.facebook.com" while "www.facebook.com" sends me to the normal version.

Aside from that, you can have Atomik browser identify itself as a desktop browser and solve most of your trouble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.