Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I've been constantly reminded to upgrade to iOS 10.2.1 for a while now. Every time it's come up I've clicked later as I didn't want to install it.

This morning the message popped up again so I clicked later expecting it to disappear. Instead the phone crashes and then loads back up to the home screen. Before I can unlock the phone the message pops up again so I click later and it crashes again.

I tried it one more time but the same thing happened so I tried turning the phone off. Once I powered down the phone it then decided to install the update!

All I'm gonna say is it was a good job I didn't need the phone for an emergency as it was stuck updating for around 15 minutes.

Has this happened to anyone else?

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Don't click Later. Always click details, then press home button.

Later means "yes I trust Apple to not make an update that makes my phone worse"

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Not just that, but make sure to go into storage settings and delete the downloaded update as that is what gets the update prompts to show up. Beyond that the tvOS profile can be installed to even prevent the automatic download of updates (and thus related prompts).

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Not just that, but make sure to go into storage settings and delete the downloaded update as that is what gets the update prompts to show up. Beyond that the tvOS profile can be installed to even prevent the automatic download of updates (and thus related prompts).

Yeah lesson learned I guess. The thing I find really strange is I never ever accepted the T&C's to install the update yet it still installed. Didn't know that was possible tbh o_O
[doublepost=1486325411][/doublepost]
10.2.1 includes patches to a number of vulnerabilities. Pretty silly not to install it

Yeah true, just had a lot going on recently and it was never a good time to install it. Oh well it's installed now, although I'm slightly miffed though as the battery symptoms everyone has been moaning about has started occurring since the update.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
That's why you should install tvOS profile mentioned on forum many times - disables OTA updates even without jailbreak. But now you can't downgrade even though.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Thanks. Can that be done without an AppleTV?

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I just install the tvOS beta profile
Let me know if anyone needs the link (or Google Search "Nathan Mock tvOS"

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Samsung owners: Can't wait for the next update, complains about not getting them fast enough
iPhone owners: Complain about getting updates and work to make sure they don't get installed

Brilliant.

Well, for a small subset of iPhone users that might be true.

I look forward to the updates (eg. running 10.3b2 as we speak)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.