Forcing Applications to launch in certain desktops

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by kopite19, Jul 21, 2011.

1. kopite19, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

kopite19 macrumors regular

Firstly, i apologise if this has been asked..

In SL, I used to have specific applications set for certain spaces. Mail and browsers had the top left, iTunes the top right, iLife/iWork/Office were bottom left and steam/games set to bottom right. I liked the fact I wouldn't have to move things around each time I launched the program and knew where things were.

Now, since upgrading to Lion, the "Mission Control" function doesn't seem to allow me to specify certain apps to permanently launch in certain desktops and I also can't seem to rearrange the MissionControl desktops (i can move the applications but want to move the desktops into a different order).

Does anyone know if this is possible and can direct me to the settings please as it's getting almost as frustrating as the lack of back/forward swipe gestures in Firefox...

Thanks

2. SteveJUK macrumors newbie

It's not as easy as it was before in Spaces but if you open Mission Control and hover your mouse over to the right you activate the hidden + icon. Click the + icon to add more desktops/spaces. Drag your App to the desktop you want.

If you want an App to always open in a specific 'desktop' then open Mission Control, drag your App into the desktop you want, active that desktop and then right click the App in the dock, expand the Options menu and then click 'This Desktop'. Phew!

Re - Moving desktops around - you can't anymore :(

Maybe in a future release, Apple will make this more intuitive...but I doubt it!

Hope the above instructions make sense!

:eek: