Forcing iDVD 6 to have the highest quality?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CMD is me, Jul 11, 2008.

1. CMD is me macrumors 6502

Is there a way to make sure I'm getting the highest possible quality with iDVD 6?

We took a vacation with another family. I shot 3 hrs of video, edited it down to 80 minutes and made them a DVD. I wanted a copy for myself, but with some edits. I edited it down to 58 minutes, opened a NEW iDVD project and created the navigation. Because I added a slide show the the "project duration" was over 60 minutes (something like 65). I deleted the slide show and shortened the menu actions. The "project duration" is now 59:26 and I have "best quality" selected. Still the DVD capacity shows less than half full -- 2.0gb of 4.2gb. I went to a lot of work (3 hrs re-editing) to squeeze this under 60 minutes and want to make sure I get the best quality possible.

Does iDVD 6 still have the <60 minutes max for best quality / >60 minutes increases the compression deal? How do I know what I'm going to get?

Does the new version offer improved video quality?

Thanks.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

If you want more control over the encoding quality settings, you'll need something other than iDVD. DVD Studio Pro (along with Compressor) can provide those tools.

-DH

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

The newest iDVD allows you to manually specify which encoding method you want, and includes a new "professional quality" mode as well. I don't think it forces you into any particular mode anymore based on time, but I'm not sure.

4. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

I didn't know about that, though I'll have to try it.
    I used FCP - exported to Compressor as a DVD (highest quality 90 minutes).
    Then I imported the 2 files (audio/video) into DVD SP and created my DVD there.
    The quality was quite noticeable between the standard iDVD settings and the method above.

5. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

Is the quality of iDVD's compression any better now than with 6? I wish Apple would clarify what their terms "best performance" "best quality" "professional quality" really mean. Even with iTunes you can pick 192k, 256k, etc and know what you're getting.

6. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

I should clarify ...to what conditions does iDVD use the highest quality compression? ie. if I have a <60minute video will iDVD burn at the best quality compression and does anyone know if 60 minutes is still the cut off (I once read it was increased to 90 minutes, but can't remember if that was version 6)?

7. huntercr macrumors 65816

I agree. I wish they would just say in the help files what the actual bitrates are for the quality levels, whether it is 2 pass, etc, etc. I understand them wanting to keep it non-technical, but for those of us who want to know, it would be nice to have that available.

Someone somewhere postulated that "professional quality" was 2pass. I have never seen anyone do a comparison.

8. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought for sure someone on THIS forum would know. I've been searching around but never found an answer... except AppleTV -- you never have to worry about it ;)