Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk152

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Hi,

I have a case where I would like to be free from my iOS devices for an hour or two. Is there an app that can simply force me to stay at lock screen or force an iOS device to be in Airplane mode for a period of time (30 min, 1 hr, 2 hrs, etc).

I have searched the web for 2-3 hours and have not found anything yet. Any help is appreciated.

Best, Don

Last edited:

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Hi,

I have a case where I would like to be free from my iOS devices for an hour or two. Is there an app that can simply force me to stay at lock screen or force an iOS device to be in Airplane mode for a period of time (30 min, 1 hr, 2 hrs, etc).

I have searched the web for 2-3 hours and have not found anything yet. Any help is appreciated.

Best, Don

You do know there is an on/off switch, right? Or are you saying you don't have the self control to turn the devices off and leave them off for as long as you need? :confused::D

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Maybe something Jail Breaking can achieve but I don't think iOS supports something like that - its kind of like your asking for a 'time-out' period lol.:D

Just switch it off :)

dk152

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
It was mostly for my students, who are struggling with will power to turn an iPhone off. I thought there would be an app with big button, that says "disable me". Then, you simply enter or choose the time period that you want to disable the phone. After that point, nothing is functional or internet is turned off until the prescribed time is up.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
You could always set a pass code then keep typing it wrong until you're locked out for an hour or so.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
You could always set a pass code then keep typing it wrong until you're locked out for an hour or so.

this is exactly what i was thinking

the only problem is you need to type it in 5 times before it locks you out, then to get a full hour you need to wait a 1 min period on the 6th try 5 min period on the 7th try then 15 on the 8th try and then you get your hour lockout on the 9th try. Pretty sure those are the intervals

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
It was mostly for my students, who are struggling with will power to turn an iPhone off. I thought there would be an app with big button, that says "disable me". Then, you simply enter or choose the time period that you want to disable the phone. After that point, nothing is functional or internet is turned off until the prescribed time is up.

Thanks for the feedback!

If your students are struggling to find the will power to turn their phones off, I think they would struggle even more with downloading an app and then actually using it to disable their phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.