Forcing iPhone to connect to Exchange server

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adawaal, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Adawaal macrumors newbie

So, I have a new job at a large institution that gives everyone a Blackberry for calls, e-mail, etc. Only thing is I won't give up my iPhone and don't want to carry around two damn cell phones.

Problem: IT says they "won't support" the iPhone connecting to the Exchange server so I can get my e-mail, contacts, schedule, etc. They said that they "won't allow" the iPhone to connect to the server.

Now, I know nothing about servers, but I figure that any device that connects to a the right server via the right path and can authenticate can probably do the same job. Am I way off base and they can actually block an iPhone from connecting?

If I may be able to make the work-around, can anyone point me to directions of how to accomplish this (i.e., how to snag the correct server/path/port info from the Blackberry so I can enter that into the iPhone)?

Thanks a million!

2. SAFC2403 macrumors member

It depends on a couple of things really. Most likely your organisation will be using a Blackberry Enterprise Server which is useless to an iPhone. The iPhone needs to have a direct connection to the exchange server and if your organisation doesnt have OWA switched on then you're out of luck.

Plus if they are sayign they won't allow the phone to connect to your exchange then i'm guessing even if you do get the connection settings the server will probs reject them.

3. dazey macrumors 6502

I broke my blackberry and now just use my iphone and use it unsupported. Can you get internet access to your account and can you get entourage to work? If so you should be able to get the iphone to work (or it does for me). I just used the settings from entourage