Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phodacbiet6699

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
Ben an apple user since the iPhone 3g and 3gs were popular now what its become is apple forcing updates on there devices before it was pop ups that you can turn off now they slow your device down and or give you battery or charging issues I just found that out myself today of course good luck to whom ever try to blow that whistle on a corporate giant like this one lets all face it you wanna use there product they have control over everything you do even after paying the $1k price tag.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Ben an apple user since the iPhone 3g and 3gs were popular now what its become is apple forcing updates on there devices before it was pop ups that you can turn off now they slow your device down and or give you battery or charging issues I just found that out myself today of course good luck to whom ever try to blow that whistle on a corporate giant like this one lets all face it you wanna use there product they have control over everything you do even after paying the $1k price tag.

Apple doesn’t force updates on you. You have the ability to stay on the same iOS version, which many people do.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
It’s an iPhone 6 / 6 Plus. Chances are there won’t be any updates after iOS 12.x any way. That’s if the 6 even gets iOS 12 support.

With only 1gb of ram the iPhone 5s 5c 6 and 6 Plus are probably next on the chopping block.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
This is an old gripe. These days Apple will auto upload the update to you, which annoys the 16GB/slow Internet users but it's up to you whether u want to install it.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It’s an iPhone 6 / 6 Plus. Chances are there won’t be any updates after iOS 12.x any way. That’s if the 6 even gets iOS 12 support.

With only 1gb of ram the iPhone 5s 5c 6 and 6 Plus are probably next on the chopping block.

It seems to be chip that determines that more than the RAM. Usually only one generation gets chopped at a time even though multiple generations have the same RAM. For instance, the iPhone 5 also had 1GB of RAM while the other 1GB devices did. It's likely that the 6 and 6 Plus will get iOS 12 and the 5s won't. So it's probably more accurate to say that the A7 devices are next on the chopping block.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This is an old gripe. These days Apple will auto upload the update to you, which annoys the 16GB/slow Internet users but it's up to you whether u want to install it.

Only thing I don’t like is the consistent reminders to update your software from Apple that pops up randomly on your iPhone. I know they can be disabled temporarily, but I personally don’t need to be reminded about updating my software, when I can do so at my own leisure.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Apple doesn’t force updates on you. You have the ability to stay on the same iOS version, which many people do.

Question, how do I turn off the constant nagging to update? Show me where in settings can I do that please.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Take a look at the link here, and see if one or more the options appeal to you. Granted, it isn't what you want, as in being able to turn it off for good.

I’ve seen that, for most users those workarounds aren’t easy or ideal, hence when someone says Apple forces updates, this is the context where that stems from. It’s quite disingenous to boldly state that Apple doesn’t force updates, understanding that you will be living with costant nagging forever.

Reactions: orev and newellj

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I’ve seen that, for most users those workarounds aren’t easy or ideal, hence when someone says Apple forces updates, this is the context where that stems from. It’s quite disingenous to boldly state that Apple doesn’t force updates, understanding that you will be living with costant nagging forever.
Apple doesn't force anyone to update, even though it is aggravating for some to get rid of the reminder. Forcing would be not giving the consumer an option, and installing the OS automatically.

There was nothing in error or disingenuous about my post.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Apple doesn't force anyone to update, even though it is aggravating for some to get rid of the reminder. Forcing would be not giving the consumer an option, and installing the OS automatically.

There was nothing in error or disingenuous about my post.

Have you ever wondered why so many people keep making this comment, that Apple forces updates? It's the constant nagging that breaks you psychologically and you give in so that it stops the ridiculous nagging. This is why so many people keep raising this issue. Look it up, all around the internet are people complaining about this. Hence psychologically Apple forces you to update. Yes it's disingenuous to omit this nagging detail in your assessment when it's an integral component of the user experience.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Have you ever wondered why so many people keep making this comment, that Apple forces updates? It's the constant nagging that breaks you psychologically and you give in so that it stops the ridiculous nagging. This is why so many people keep raising this issue. Look it up, all around the internet are people complaining about this. Hence psychologically Apple forces you to update. Yes it's disingenuous to omit this nagging detail in your assessment when it's an integral component of the user experience.
I am aware of the complaints. I am also not making light of the aggravation involved in getting rid of the reminder. All that doesn't change that what I stated was factual.

A person that doesn't want to upgrade will make sure they do what it takes not to.

In my opinion, people that don't want to update need to constantly contact Apple about the subject.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Not sure it's disingenuous. I will say that when I see that screen with the lockscreen-like number pad and an offer to update, I treat the iDevice like a hand grenade with the pin gone missing and immediately go to Settings-Manage Storage and delete the downloaded update. I don't like the space they use but more than that I don't want to accidentally launch the update (and even though I will maintain that Apple doesn't "force" anyone to update, it is possible to launch it in a couple of different ways if you aren't paying a fair amount of attention).
[doublepost=1520884388][/doublepost]

Well, it's not like waterboarding. ;) I don't think it's that the constant nagging "breaks you psychologically" so much as the fact that it can be easy to launch the update if you're not paying attention - which, let's be honest, all of use don't do at least some of the time when we're using our phones.

Reactions: trifid

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Well, it's not like waterboarding. ;) I don't think it's that the constant nagging "breaks you psychologically" so much as the fact that it can be easy to launch the update if you're not paying attention - which, let's be honest, all of use don't do at least some of the time when we're using our phones.

Yea my mom ‘accidentally’ updated the phone that way, inputing the pin thinking it was a regular security prompt.

There is definitely psychological play on human behavior and Apple obtains its intended goal. It’s not by chance that there is mass adoption after each iOS release.

The scheme works great: nag pin-code deceive, nag pin-code deceive, nag pin-code deceive, repeat forever.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yea my mom ‘accidentally’ updated the phone that way, inputing the pin thinking it was a regular security prompt.

There is definitely psychological play on human behavior and Apple obtains its intended goal. It’s not by chance that there is mass adoption after each iOS release.

The scheme works great: nag pin-code deceive, nag pin-code deceive, nag pin-code deceive, repeat forever.

Well...I can't quite get myself to say that that screen is deceptive...but I hear you. Verrrrrrrry easy to slip on that screen. I have come close myself and I try to pay attention. (I have three iDevices on iOS 10 at this point, so I am very vigilant.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.