Ford Flex

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by abijnk, Feb 13, 2010.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'm wondering if anyone on here has a Flex or has entertained getting a Flex but went for something else instead.

My husband and I are looking to get rid of his Chevy Aveo in favor of something with enough room to fit our three dogs (a lab and two westies) and for us to grow into (read: have a family). We test drove the Flex today and absolutely love it. We also checked out the Scion xB.

Anybody have an recommendations for (or against) the Flex or any other similar cars? Our upper limit is $30k.

Thanks!

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The Flex perplexes me in a way. It is meant to go against the likes of the Honda Pilot and Chevy Traverse, but its height makes it look like a long Scion xB.

The Flex is a capable vehicle. It's styling is not to my liking, but it should be decent enough for a family. Though I am not sure if it will fit three medium sized dogs( though I have to see the cargo space in person to officially tell. Pics don't really help....).

Are you looking used or new? As if new the Flex will be pretty much a stripper since it starts at $28K( unless you meant $30K max after trade in of the Aveo). I would also look at the Traverse as it is a pretty decent vehicle as well.

As for the xB, I can not see that small thing carrying 3 dogs comfortably.

3. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Well you say any recommendations this exceeds $30k but stays at the $30K mark depending on features.

the 2010 Mercedez Benz GLK 350....

overview: Luxury, Mild-Performance, SUV, Safe crash test rating.

For Lease at 30 months starting at $33,727 with $3,500 down, $650 per month.

For Finance at 60 months starting at $33,727 with $3,500 down, $603 per month at 5 percent interest rate.

Well that's my opinion.:rolleyes:

Wish you the best...the flex is a good car.. (i know that benz isn't a cheap car, but it hits the $30K mark.....but this doesn't include taxes and this is the base price w/out any extra features).

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've seen a Flex in person. It looks very much like an SUV with a lower ride height. It's reasonably large inside, though not as roomy as a minivan. I actually like the styling, it;s more of a "wagon" school of thought than the "bulgy aggressive egg" school of thought most crossovers adopt.

For alternatives I'd consider either a Subaru Outback or Forester or a minivan. The Subaru can be had a bit cheaper, gets better gas mileage, almost certainly handles better on the road and comes with AWD standard, but the Flex is bigger. Minivans are always the most efficient way to go, but people avoid them for image reasons. But they have tons of space with very intelligent interiors.

The biggest downside I see with the Flex is that to keep it under $30k you'd probably have to go with a FWD version, in which case I'd probably lean towards getting an Outback. If FWD is fine for you then a Minivan can be had cheaper.

Overall it seems like a nice car if you are shopping for a crossover. Reviewers have said the Flex feels more upmarket in it's choice of interior materials, which probably helps account for the higher asking price.

5. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

We don't have three medium sized dogs. ;) We have a lab (a large dog) and two westies (small dogs).

I too had concerns with the fact that we would need to go with the base model Flex, but it is surprisingly well equipped right off the bat. On the other hand with a different vehicle we could get more bells and whistles. This is where we are going back and forth...

We test drove the Flex today and made sure to sit in all the seats and look at all the seating configurations. I was actually surprised how roomy it was on the inside considering that it looks like Ford went for styling over functionality in some cases. The FWD doesn't really bother us since we live in Southern California and don't have to deal with anything other than rain.

Subaru is definitely on our list. They make great cars and we are checking them out.

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Doh. I read westies as Huskies. :eek: I consider a lab a medium sized dog. Great Danes are large dogs. :p

So fitting them will be a lot easier then I originally posted. :p I say go for the Flex or Traverse. Stay away from Chrysler and avoid Mercedes. You may be able to get it down to $30K, but maintenance will be hell which everyone seems to forget with these German luxury car makers. It may be cool to have, but the cost of maintenance is a lot. I also wouldn't want to put my dogs in a luxury car.

7. da meat tree macrumors member