Ford sync myford touch issue w/ bluetooth audio streaming

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eye.surgeon, Mar 25, 2013.

1. eye.surgeon, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Bluetooth audio streaming pauses/stutters/skips to the next track intermittently. Problem can be quite intermittent or constant. Also get an intermittent message saying that Sync has lost contact with the phone and is trying to re-pair, but in reality the phone is still paired.

Bluetooth phone features otherwise work perfectly including phone calls.

This with an iphone 5, iOS 6.1.3, paired with a brand new 2013 Ford F150 with Nav/Sync/MyFord touch software version 3.5.1. Also paired my wife's iphone 5, same problem.

What I've tried:soft and hard reboot of the iphone. Deleting and re-pairing the phone. Troubleshooting with MyFord customer service, their opinion is it's an iOS issue.

Anyone else having similar issues? Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Will probly have better luck in a Ford audio forum.

BUT don't you love it when one vendor points finger to the other vendor?

My take is, is Ford responsibility to be able to talk to iPhone correctly. If done correctly, Ford buys a license from Apple, Apple gives Ford the exact protocol how to talk to its device, and after every OS update, Apple forwards any changes to Ford, if firmware update needed on head, Ford should furnish that to you. BUT that's how things SHOULD work, not in real life. :(

3. eye.surgeon thread starter macrumors 6502

I've also posted a similar thread in a Ford forum. There's more volume here, though, and the technical expertise is much higher here.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Well good luck.

Because I've been a car audio enthusiast, and a computer geek... Lots of time how this works is, Ford, or more ably, the stereo vendor, reverse-Engineers the protocol to find out how a BT stereo "talks" to an iPhone, base on that snooping, they say, OK that's how we should talk to an iPhone, hence saving them the need to buy a real license from Apple. But of course when they did this, it was an iPhone with IOS5. Now with the new IOS, Apple has changed something <gasp!>. If the stereo vendor is say, Alpine (a premium car stereo vendor) they may go ahead and run their analyzer on the new IOS and issue a firmware update for the stereo, if necessary. Other vendors, who knows.

5. baronimj macrumors newbie

Ford sync myford touch issue w/ bluetooth audio streaming

I have been having the same problem for a year and have fought with Ford over this. Here are the results.
    I was told by a For rep that:

Bluetooth streaming to an Iphone is not supported.

Anything above IOS 5.1 is not supported.

Cannot have iphone connected to USB if it is connected to bluetooth as a phone as it will see it as an ipod.

Certain apps cannot be open while connected but they don't know which ones.

This means its basically useless and I had to purchase a bluetooth headset and remove the phone from the car. Ford is reimbursing me for the headset.
    Never buy a Ford again!

6. explorersport macrumors newbie

Fix for BT Stereo audio streaming

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and my wife has an iphone4S...same thing happening on our new myford sync. I tried all kinds of fixes and finally realized what the issue was, I think...it has worked so far.

If you have Auto Download of phonebook on this is probably transferring at the same time that you are trying to stream the audio and it is causing the audio to stutter. I would try turning off the Auto Download of phonebook in the settings and it should fix the issue for you. I know it has for us.

I've just done manual downloads periodically while on a drive where I was not using BT stereo.

7. eye.surgeon thread starter macrumors 6502

Turning off address book auto download made no difference for me.

8. eye.surgeon thread starter macrumors 6502

From Ford? It's likely an Apple issue. Other phones work fine.