Ford Sync Problem - need help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nhwhazup, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I have a Ford Edge with Sync software. Before purchasing my 4S I had a 3GS which worked perfectly syncing up and with hands free. My new 4S syncs up fine and work fine with Bluetooth for audio streaming. I can initiate a phone call from my iPhone and then talk through the hands free. But when I hit the hands free button on my steering column to initiate a call - nothing happens.

Does anyone know how to get the hands free on a Ford to work with the iPhone 4S? I think it's a problem with Siri but don't know how to get around it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sheila

2. jaminthejar macrumors member

I'm not sure if this would make a difference, but are you powered into the car via USB?

I had difficulty with the 4S with that, but mostly regarding Siri. Since the 'music app' on the iPhone is disabled when plugged into USB (presumably for safety reasons), after Siri said she would play a song, nothing would happen. I think that's what was going on with me.

I will have to do a test tomorrow to see how making calls works with Bluetooth. It worked fine with my old non-smartphone. What I need to do next is find a little dock to go in the lighter than I can power the iPhone with, and avoid USB entirely.

You probably did this already, but have you deleted any other phones that you're not using with Sync? Or deleted and repaired your 4S?

3. Bodycalming macrumors member

Bodycalming

My 4S works just fine for "Hands Free Calling" after the iPhone has been activated through the Ford Audio system, simply by clicking the button on the Steering wheel, then say "Dial Name"..... and all the other stuff you have to say. This is all assuming that the name you want to call is stored in the Ford system using the "Store Name" command, as far as I can tell, it will not work through the Ford system just by pressing the Siri button:( Siri is Siri and thats it.:)