Foreign credit card, US address

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lacereza, Jun 9, 2008.

1. lacereza macrumors regular

I'm moving to the US at the end of July, but won't be getting a US credit card for a while. My Australian CC will have a US billing address. Could someone please confirm or deny that it is impossible to purchase anything from the US Apple online store with a non-US credit card? I might have to sweet talk a friend of mine if that's the case...

2. Asu macrumors member

Asu

Yes, maybe and no

I have a foreign CC which is more like a debit/credit card and has a very decent amount of cash behind it.

Some retailers flatly refuse to deal with it, one of them is Apple.

Others never game me any trouble, such as Amazon.

Yet others do ask for some form of additional identification, these included in my experience:

- a company wanted to call me on a land line,
    - another asked me to fax a copy of the back and front of my card,

Sometimes it depends on the price, e.g. J&R filled a $35 order with no hassle, wanted fax of my CC front/back for a $300+ order.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

could always walk into Walgreens, or one of the other places that sells the green dot credit card.

Can reload those at any time, and even with the fees it still ends up cheaper that a credit card if you have the cash to advance to it.

Should give you a US credit card number to use in the US without problems, and easy enough to walk away from at the end if you spend it down.