Foreign domain names

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by slipper, Jul 17, 2009.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I am planning to start a travel agency to my adopted home country outside of the US. I have a few domain names i was thinking of purchasing. The main one is a .com which i feel is the best for my business. However it is for sale at a price that i feel is quite high. The other one is the exact same name but using the domain of the foreign country which is currently available. Of course i prefer the .com because its the big poppa of all domains. My question is, does having a foreign domain place less priority in Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc when searched from the US or any other country foreign to that domain?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I've never read anything that would lead me to believe the search engines use the domain extension as a way to judge ranking.

3. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

But they do. I built a new web infrastructure for a company in the Ukrain. They specially required that the servers would stay in the Ukrain ( and thus the ip ranges assigned to ukrainian providers ) otherwise their ratings (for users looking for their specific market in the ukrain) would go down.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Whose "they?" We're talking about search engines, not hosts.

5. cube macrumors G5

If you go to the Google page at other domains, it allows you to restrict searches to that country. That's what people use when searching for product/services locally.

6. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

In regards to oblomows situation, I really do not expect much business in the specific foreign country. I expect almost 50% of the visitors to the site will come from the US and the other 50% from random countries but a very small percentage from the country of the domain. My host will be godaddy.

7. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

Sorry, I meant the googles of this world. This clients search engine ratings would go down if they moved the servers to another country.

8. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

So what you're saying is, as long as i keep my host as GoDaddy which is based in the US i should be good?

9. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Do you not think it's potentially misleading or confusing to have a foreign suffix? It would lead me to believe that's where you were based.

10. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

Do you think it's misleading? I never crossed my mind at all. After all currently i am there 2-3 times a year and the service pertains to that area.