Foreign Font Question: Can I Keep a Certain Font in a Certain Window?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr. Monsieur, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

Hey folks!

I'd like to keep a certain international font set (for Greek) working in a certain window, but not in others...is there a way to do this?
    I'm doing some translation work and I'd like to be able to type Greek into online dictionaries, but keep an English (Latin) font going in my word processor...
    Thanks in advance!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Do you mean a keyboard layout (as in for typing in Greek)?

It used to be there, but in Leopard I can't seem to find it. If you're using a previous version, look in System Preferences -> International and see if you see a preference for changing the keyboard layout for all applications or the current one. It was a neverending frustration for me for the opposite reason as you, so I didn't notice it go missing in Leopard, but I know it used to be there!

jW

3. wightstraker macrumors regular

I assume you already know how to switch between input modes in OS X.

OS X should do this automatically. For example, open TextEdit and Safari. While in TextEdit, select Greek input. Switch back to Safari, and voilá, it should still be in standard QWERTY mode.

4. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

Malheureusement, non. When I switch back to Safari (or any other app) the Greek input set remains in place (the flag at top right remains Greek), though what I want is for it to remain in American English.

5. wightstraker macrumors regular

Strange; it works for me. What version of OS X are you running?

As a quick fix, under the International pane you can can set ⌘Space as a keyboard shortcut to switch between two input selections. Using this keystroke when jumping between programs might make the process a little less irritating for you.

Sorry I can't offer much more help!

6. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm running OS 10.5.4, so I'm all up to date...I'm not sure what the issue is. But...your idea of setting up command + space is golden. I switched the Quicksilver trigger to something else, so it freed that up...thanks a lot!

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

As noted, it appears that feature was removed in Leopard to make way for the now default system-wide input method selection. Switching it manually is your only option now, as far as I can tell.

jW