Foreign keyboard for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nappa, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Nappa macrumors newbie

I am going to order a MacBook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz from the U.S Apple Store.
    However I am Finnish and I'd like to have the Finnish Keyboard.

In Apple Store Finland they do have these models, but everything costs a lot more in Finland (MacBook Pro is $2,529 - $3,594) and right now I live in Michigan, US so ordering from there makes no sense.

In the Apple Store U.S you can only choose between US and Spanish. Is there a way to get a Finnish keyboard (preferably with English software) from the states?
    And if so, will there be an extra fee?

2. hawaiian macrumors member

hawaiian

I've heard from someone else who has a foreign keyboard that he hasn't been able to find an apple store that will replace it. Perhaps if you got your hands on one, you could do it yourself or go to a 3rd party vendor to have your keyboard exchanged? But I'm not sure where you would get the keyboard. Maybe in Finland there are places to get one?

3. NJuul macrumors 6502

Perhaps if you ordered your mac over the phone you could make them re-route a finnish mbp to Michigan.
    After all, they are being assembled in the same plant...

4. Nappa thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to call the Apple Store U.S. but it after listening to ten different answering machines the line always goes deaf. It might be because of the different phone systems and such.

5. Nappa thread starter macrumors newbie

I really need to know whether or not it is possible to order the Finnish keyboard.
    Can anyone help me?

Why dont they have any e-mail adresses on the apple store... :confused:

6. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I am also interested in obtaining keyboards for other languages. Why is Spanish the only option in The Apple Store U.S.? I have this problem with electronic card readers at other stores too. They demand that the customer select English or Spanish to do the transaction, and English is not the default selection. Why is there so much catering to Spanish support? Other language options should be comparably-available.

7. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

I just wanted to give a heads up to the OP.

Becareful that foreign keyboards have a slightly different layout. For example I initially wanted to get a Japanese keyboard but then found out that the space bar was slightly smaller and the initial starting position of your hands (i.e. the standard position) is shifted abit to the left meaning your palms hit abit of the trackpad, causing minor annoyances.

You can always type in foreign languages since its all built into OSX. I really cant say for other languages but just wanted to give a headsup as many japanese people prefer the US/UK layout.

8. hawaiian macrumors member

hawaiian

I'm pretty sure the OP needs the foreign keyboard. But I'm not sure that they sell them separately. That's too bad that calling didn't help. I think your two other options are to go to a store directly or to send off an email to apple and see what they have to say.

Good luck

9. weckart macrumors 68040

Standard US and UK layouts are different. Check out the return key, for instance. Other key positions are also different. That is before you get into programmer's layouts etc.