Foreign keyboard on a US bought MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flashmob, Aug 17, 2011.

1. flashmob macrumors newbie

I'm moving to the US for college and I'm not bringing any of my Macs. I thought I'd buy a MBP in NY when I'm staying there a few days before classes begin.

I'm from Norway and I really prefer the scandinavian keyboard layout, so do any of you guys know if its possible to buy a MBP in New York with this keyboard layout? Or, if you don't know, would any of you be kind enough to ask at the store for me? Preferably the 5th Ave. store, since it is the closest one to my apartment and they probably are the most able order one for me. I've had no luck calling, and the online store does not have a scandinavian option. If I can't buy/order with a Norwegian layout I have to consider buying it here before I leave (though it will be ********s more expensive).

Also, I'm asking for a student discount, will an acceptance letter be sufficient enough as proof?

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Generally they aren't in stock and would take weeks to order one.

3. flashmob, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

flashmob thread starter macrumors newbie

[/COLOR]
    Thanks, waiting a week or so wouldn't be a problem since I'll be bringing my iPad, but not any longer than that. Maybe I could order over the phone if I got though.

4. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

If you buy the machine in the US you can request to have a special language keyboard installed through support. There should be no charge for this either. You may have to wait a week for the repair/replacement to be done along with part ordering.

Hopefully this helps you out.

5. trondhb macrumors newbie

Very interesting thread :)

I (also norwegian actually) am going to NYC for a one-week holiday in 4 weeks, and I'm planning to buy a MacBook Air while I'm over there. But after the replies received on this thread I had pretty much given up to get one with a norwegian keyboard: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1201183

But if it is like you say possible to get a custom-installed keyboard on a MBP it should be possible on a MBA as well, or...?

Would I have to order it first and then order the replacement through support afterwards? As I'm staying in NYC for only 4 days (7 in total in the area) that would probably be a problem... Hopefully it is possible to order it with the keyboard replaced before it is sent to the store?

Where can I call or e-mail to make such an order? I tried to call the Apple Store at 5th Avenue directly, and they said it was not possible. But my guess is that this is such a rare request that a regular store employee doesn't know about what is possible, and that you would have to contact someone higher up the hierarchy.

I would be more than happy to make a special order and hopefully have it delivered to a store in NYC and ready to pick-up before I leave at October 2nd.

6. swedefish macrumors 6502

As my username implies, I'm Swedish and many years ago when I lived in the US, I was unable to order a laptop with a Swedish keyboard, but of course things might have changed since. In terms of calling and inquiring, I'd try calling an Apple Store in a mall or anywhere that isn't smack in the middle of everything. I know here in the UK, if I need to get proper Apple Store support, I always turn to the London store located in a shopping mall as opposed to any of the ones in flagship locations. In the smaller stores the staff always seems to be willing to hear me out and give me sufficient time to solve problems etc. Another idea is to call up the Help Desk or IT office at your college and ask if they can help you place the order.

7. glis macrumors member

How about ordering the keyboard part separately and installing it yourself? Would that be feasible?

8. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

Not necessarily on a European MBP, I believe the way the keyboard it designed, the enter button stretches over two rows meaning that the top case is ever so slightly different. Also in regards to Apple Care, the keyboard is not a user replaceable part.

9. shoppy macrumors 6502a

You can get a new top cover which includes the keyboard, it cost me £180 inc parts and labour. I recently brought one took a day to arrive and two days to transplant the innards of my laptop.