Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J3r.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
I have just received an Mp4 Player from overseas. I don't know what the brand is, there is no info on that. It came from Asia. It has games, a digital camera, can play .avi , mp3, .wav. But everytime i put one of my avi files from my mac it won't play it and says there is a "format error." I tried putting the software disc that came with it (which is a small disc btw) into my Intel core 2 duo Imac but it doesn't register that it is in there. I have the latest version of Leopard. The video that comes already on the player works, which is also an avi video. I just have a problem with avi files when I put them on the player from my Mac. The video player is 16GB. Please tell me what to try/ do. thank you,

_Jeremy_

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
First, don't put small discs in a slot-loading drive.

Second, avi is just a container, the player may not recognize the actual codec used. Try reencoding it to a different format using, MPEGStreamClip.

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
You're probably going to have to do some research on the player, find out who makes it and what chip they use for decoding, or just try out different mp4 encoders to see what works.

Mp4 actually covers several standards, levels of encoding, profiles and not every device supports every feature. Which yours can handle depends on the chipset and the software the manufacturer uses.

I'm guessing this is a handheld player from the storage, so it might also have severe limits on the bitrate it can handle.
the doom9 forums and videohelp.com can be very helpful in situations like this.

Also, I second not putting 3" disks in slot loading drives, find someone with a tray loader to take a look at it.

J3r.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
r.j.s.
I downloaded that program you are talking about but I am not quite sure how to use it (specify how I want to convert it) to solve my problem.

ihabmine,
Here is a link to one just like it....

http://www.wholesale-star.com/16gb-...p-p-877.html?zenid=7fa3iseqvhkhftct021a9hq267

It's the most common cheap one if you look up Mp4 player 16GB on google shopping.

I was just thinking that maybe also somehow i could see what kind of difference there is between the avi supplied in the player and the ones that i have on my mac. But I don't know how to do do that or what to do once I found out what that difference is. Thanks for all the help so far.

_Jeremy_

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
To use MPEG StreamClip, just open the file you want to convert, then choose export from the menu ... in your case, I'd export as mp4, not avi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.