Foreign object underneath lid Apple logo?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shady Pioneer, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Shady Pioneer macrumors member

This is my second MacBook Pro since buying the refresh, the first had a major clicking noise from the HDD, this one has been perfect with regards to how it runs, quiet as a mouse (seriously, it is) and the horsepower is nice when encoding videos and using Creative Suite, however, I have a small, but extremely concerning problem...

[​IMG]

I have no idea what it is, but it isn't supposed to be there. It's really quite annoying as its visible when the screen in on, but not when it's off. Nonetheless I didn't expect to have this kind of problem, the screens are a sealed unit right?

What to do?:(

2. simsaladimbamba

You mean this one?
    [​IMG]

Can you still contact Apple or any Apple Authorised Repair Centre?

3. Shady Pioneer thread starter macrumors member

That's the one.

I'd imagine I can still contact them, but it will mean another 1-2 weeks wait as it's a build to order one. I have already had to do that and don't want to go through it again if I can help it. I don't live near an Apple Store either.

4. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Not sealed in the sense of impenetrable, they are an assembled unit. It appears to be some sort of debris that mistakenly got left inside during assembly. If you have an Apple store close, take it in. If not, call Apple Care. They're very helpful.

5. simsaladimbamba

Since it doesn't seem to hinder the functioning, Apple Care will send you a replacement unit and you send the faulty unit back once the replacement unit has arrived and you cloned your HDD to the newer Mac and securely erased your data from the HDD on the old Mac.
    Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy.

6. Shady Pioneer thread starter macrumors member

My dilemma is this:

1. Take it to an Apple Store to be sorted, it's about an hour away which isn't too bad but still out of my way, if I have to make 2 trips as well that's easily £15/20 petrol. I also run the risk of them leaving behind grubby fingerprints and/or dust under the screen (this happened with my old iMac last year which has a screen replacement.

2. Get a replacement built and sent to me for the third time, and run the risk of getting a duff one (like my first one), and with the problems many people have had with them, I thought I'd found a gem as it runs perfectly.

Both have pros, both have cons.

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

If it runs fine, just use it. IF you are using it (and not in clamshell mode), you will never see the Apple and know (as it is on the backside).:D

I was told they don't replace just the screen, it is the entire lid top (at lest that is what happened when they replaced the screen on my early 2008 and the genius told me).

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Go with #1 and tell them to be careful about the fingerprints.