Foreign power

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cplindem, May 1, 2009.

  1. cplindem macrumors newbie

    Feb 25, 2009
    I'm taking my 3G abroad with me for a month to Dublin, London, and Spain. I'm wondering what is the best way to power my 3G.

    It would be sweet if I could simply use my existing USB cable, but I'm not positive that I would be able to consistently find an available computer to charge from.
    I of course have Apple's standard USB Power Adapter, but it doesn't fit in foreign outlets.
    I could buy Apple's UK USB Power Adapter and presumably Spain's as well.
    Could I simply add an International Power-Plug Adapter to the end of my standard USB Power Adapter?
    Or is the best option to purchase a portable battery charger?
  2. TEG macrumors 604


    Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    I would suggest one of the following...

    1) Use a standard Apple USB power supply (Or AirPort Express), then purchase the Apple International Adapters, and change out the US plug for the foriegn plugs.
    2) Purchase a USB power supply in the UK, and get the EU adapters for it.
    3) Purchase a Car-Charger for your iPod and charge your iPod while in vehicles.

  3. nanofrog macrumors G4

    May 6, 2008
    All useful, but #3 might be a better way to go. It can be bought in the US prior to the trip, and still used once back. :D Assuming the OP will have access to a car. :p
  4. cplindem thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 25, 2009
    How do the International Adapters work with the standard USB power supply? I can't figure out what plugs into them. The images on that link only show a strange looking two-pronged male connector. What does that connect to? Certainly not a USB cable, and nothing on the standard USB power supply looks like that. Did you intend to say "UK USB power supply"? It looks like that one has 2-parts. Perhaps the middle has that two-pronged female connector?
    Why not just buy US to EU and US to UK adapters for my existing USB Power adapter?
    Yeah no car.

Share This Page