Foreign unlocked iPhone 4 in USA & prepaid data

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Steve Kay, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Steve Kay macrumors newbie

Hay guise -

I hope the community can help clarify something for me, for my trip to the USA this weekend :) I've researched this extensively, but there's a lot of old, contradictory or speculative info out there!

I have an unlocked non-jailbroken iPhone 4 bought at home at an Apple store here in the UK. No SIM/carrier lock.

I have read that I can buy an AT&T Go Phone, and use the SIM card in my iPhone (it'll cost me USD20 for 100MB of data, but that's pennies compared to the roaming charges!).

I have two questions -

1. Do I need to buy a 3G AT&T Go Phone in order to get 3G service? Or will the SIM card from a non-3G Go Phone give me 3G service?

2. What steps do I need to perform in order to be up and running for data on my iPhone?

Thanks in advance for all pointers & advice :)

Steve

2. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

As it's unlocked, you can pop the AT&T sim into your iPhone, it's 3G compatible so you don't need any other phone.

You may need to change the AT&T APN Settings, might want to look online or ask somebody in an AT&T store.

3. Steve Kay thread starter macrumors newbie

Pushkar, thanks mate (Hammersmith here btw ;D).

To clarify, I can just buy the cheapest Fisher-Price AT&T model, like this one -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AT&T+Go...bile+Phone+-+Black/9502549.p?id=1218115833245

and when I put the (trimmed down) SIM in my iPhone, I'll be able to use 3G service (rather than EDGE or GPRS)?

Cheers, Steve