Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nlr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2010
London
Hello,

I am a forex trader so I need to use the application metatrader (MT4) on my mac laptop for sereral hours a day. I assumed running Metatrader through PlayOnMac would use less cpu resources and battery life than running Parallels and using Windows 10???

According to Activity Monitor on OSX it says PlayOnMac (wine) uses more cpu but uses less battery??? How does that make sense?

Can someone please help me figure out if it would be better to use Parallels or PlayOnMac on my laptop for best battery and least amount of cpu?

Screen_Shot_2017_07_31_at_5_34_23_pm.png

Screen_Shot_2017_07_31_at_5_33_28_pm.png

thanks

Last edited:

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
If I understand your screens correctly, you are comparing CPU usage and Energy Impact. I think your premise is a good one: running a full OS plus the app should take more energy than just running the app plus a skinny emulator. The screenshots suggest you have both - do you notice that one runs longer than the other in terms of battery life?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
The CPU score is a snapshot, while the energy impact average is recorded over a periode. Have you been running the two apps the same amount of time, to be able to compare them?

nlr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2010
London
The CPU score is a snapshot, while the energy impact average is recorded over a periode. Have you been running the two apps the same amount of time, to be able to compare them?

No I haven't. Should I try that or is the emulator definitely better?

PS9

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
No I haven't. Should I try that or is the emulator definitely better?

What you're really going to want to do is use a native port of MetaTrader. I'm assuming you're on 4 rather than 5 as few brokers support 5. So download something like https://pepperstone.com/en/trading-platforms/metatrader-4-mac and run that instead.

When you start it for the first time, you'll need to wait for the server list to populate. Click existing account and give it a few seconds, because only pepperstone is going to show up at first, your broker should show up.

Your other option would be use a VPS. Something like https://fxvm.net would likely reduce your lag time and if you run EA's it'll run day/night even if your system is off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.