Forget iPhone v2.0, could this be v3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macduke, Sep 20, 2007.

1. macduke Suspended

macduke

Checked around real quick, didn't see this posted, so enjoy:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/20/intel-demos-iphone-like-mid-of-the-future/

Apparently it uses an interface and form factor (albeit really freaking long) that is really close to the iPhone, and according to a linked article from Engadget, "Intel described this as the chip the iPhone would have wanted."

Features:

- 45nm Intel Silverthorne CPU
    - Integrated memory controller (speed!)
    - Wifi and Wimax (802.16, eventual replacement for wifi and 3g, right now it is a reciprocal of 70mbit/s and 50km, with speed decreasing with distance, distance decreasing with speed, etc, based on the setup)
    - 24hr battery life

It's basically a full fledged computer except several times faster then anything out today. Pretty freaking crazy right? If it works as well as they say it does then could we be seeing this in iPhone 3.0 in late 2009 or early 2010? I hope so!!

2. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I like the Wimax and battery time but who knows what Apple will have in that time period.

3. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

The thing will stick half way out of my pocket...
    :eek:

*bring on the next 'iPhone Killer'*

4. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

looking at that, the first thing that pops into my head is "how cool would it be to have a cell phone that is also the faceplate of your car stereo?"

5. macduke thread starter Suspended

macduke

Ohhhh....good idea. Or even cheaper, an MP3 player. It could also charge the player and it would prevent theft as you would nearly always take it with you.

Damn the Google.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20030114133.html

It was fun while it lasted. Maybe Apple will buy out this patent and put it into the iCar. I can only dream...

6. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Damn thats big. I would not mind a thicker iPhone (for more battery and 3G), but a stretch iPhone would be harder to swallow.

7. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Synaptics already demoed something like this a few years ago with their Onyx concept phone that was based on capacitance-sensing multitouch technology.

Steve Jobs mentioned something interesting at the UK launch... that they were testing the 2nd and 3rd generation models and conceptualizing the 4th... which is pretty consistent with the length of Apple's product development cycles (about 2-3 years in pipeline from concept to product).

So, you can imagine that whatever Intel is demoing, Apple is testing something equal to or more advanced than that, and more than likely a much better form factor. That intel thing just looks unwieldy... about as long as AT&T's first 900MHz handset or Motorola's DynaTAC 8000.

8. fart macrumors regular

bah, leave it to intel to design something that looks like :apple:ss

fart it up!