Forget NateTrue's 1.1.3 Jailbreak... "Official" DevTeam method released Saturday

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by headspace, Jan 25, 2008.

1. headspace macrumors member

Thanks to the stupid squabbling from inside the Dev Teams (which really should be kept themselves), the boards are now once again full of confusing 1.1.3 jailbreak threads and conflicting announcements, not to mention a **** load of messed-up iPhones that have various functions no longer working.

For those wanting to upgrade, it would be sensible to wait a few more days. Remember, the current jailbreak is not supported by the iPhone Dev Team and a proper tested jailbreak will be released in the next day or so.

This from NerveGas on Hackint0sh:

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25044

2. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

3. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

how about a link to the full text to make it easier to find?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Searched Hackint0sh quickly, only found quotes, not original posting. A few sites, such as zdziarski.com has similar text.

5. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

hopefully this break gives the Edge symbol back as well as being able to use google maps.

6. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

Hope it really comes out tomorrow like stated

7. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

I'm on jailbroken 1.1.1 right now with the "Locate-Me" app and I'm really trying to weigh my options here. I mean really, the only thing worth going to 1.1.3 is to have the locate-me integrated into google maps and using WiFi nodes instead of just cell towers.

I mean, 1.1.2 has only a few features that I didn't think were worth it at the time:
    fixing the TIFF exploit(done by jailbreakme.com)
    custom ringtones (i always use vibrate)
    iTunes battery indicator
    Internationalization
    modem update(maybe better reception?)

and 1.1.3 has a couple cool things I suppose
    Customizable Springboard(without using Customize.app)
    Mass-SMS SPAMMING (SMSD already does this if i ever wanted to)
    Google maps pinpoint and Hybrid mode

Right now it doesn't seem worth it to ruin a good thing that I have for the very minor feature updates that apple will have for me in 1.1.3.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

One important feature of 1.1.2 is double-tap on home button, official integrated German, French, and some more features.

Personally I am waiting for 1.1.3 jailbreak to be stable, but need to look up the info because someone has updated to 1.1.3 and I am getting paid to fix it.

9. headspace thread starter macrumors member

10. ajl917 macrumors 6502

I dont really care which method I used although whatever is easier will be my choice. I just want the apps to be updated so I can use them ASAP on 1.1.3...

11. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

I mentioned the Internationalization, which I consider a minor feature enhancement for the US, I'll never use that, that's for sure. Double-tap was introduced in 1.1.1, I use it to start playing music from a "locked" state, jump to the iPod controls from any app, and jump to my Favorite Contacts if I'm already in the iPod. Was there something else that 1.1.2 added to this?

perfect, thanks!

12. stevearm macrumors 6502a

13. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

hopefully soon. i jailbroke last night, but my ringtones dont work, i dont have an EDGE icon, and mylocation is broken. i'm restoring to stock 1.1.3 for now till a real method comes out.

14. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

where would this news be released if its released?

15. headspace thread starter macrumors member

The best place to check is the Hackint0sh iPhone forums (home of the Dev Team):
    http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123

However, this can be pretty confusing at times due to so many posts and conflicting threads.

No news on the Dev Team version yet. Notably, there is information there on how to fix some of the things Nate's Jailbreak messed up and there are some people who are happy with this method so make your own mind up whether to go ahead with it or not. Personally, there seems to be too many reports of problems and not enough new features in 1.1.3 itself to really warrant it just yet.

16. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Dev Team has been so reliable, ill wait for them and not promote some jackarse that wanted the fame.

17. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

hopefully the new method will allow us to jailbreak without losing functionality.

18. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Pretty sure it is going to. Thats why they didnt release it yet. I cant wait!

19. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

For the past couple of weeks, I haven't even really been able to visit hackint0sh. The site keeps timing out on me.

20. headspace thread starter macrumors member

Well, this will probably make me sound like a hypocrite, but did decide to give Nate's JB a try just to see how problematic it really is (it does not touch the baseband, so I knew I could always restore if things went wrong).

I must admit, it has been a very pain-free upgrade and I now have a fully functional unlocked and jailbroken 1.1.3 iPhone. It seems to me that most of the reported problems are coming from users upgrading directly from 1.1.1.

My phone was bought as an OTB 1.1.1, previously on 1.1.2 and unlocked with AnySIM every time. Before using the latest jailbreak, I uninstalled all 3rd party apps (including Summerboard) to give me a relatively clean slate. Everything went as it should, all my settings and content are intact. The only things I needed to do afterwards were reinstall SSH, install Navizon to get the Google Location working and modify one preference file to re-allow EDGE on O2 Pay and Go.

If you have a fairly clean 1.1.2 phone and have not fiddled about with it too much, then maybe Nate's method isn't so bad after all, but if you still have 1.1.1 or hacked the hell out of it then it would probably still be best to wait for the Dev Team's version.

I have heard that the Devs are currently testing their jailbreak so it shouldn't be too long now!

21. headspace thread starter macrumors member

22. quixers macrumors member

Just done the new official jailbreak and it worked well.

EDGE - check
    hybrid - check
    locate - check
    visual voicemail - check
    caller id/int prefix - check
    itunes preview - check

All 'out of the box' so to speak - no faffing around with fixes for anything!

Really would recommend anyone who used nates to use the official one. How anyone can have any confidence in Nate's when they've had to patch/fix the hell out of it to get things working...

23. ddk121 macrumors 6502

Please help!

I'm following the tutorial at http://www.hackthatphone.com/113/iph..._mac_easy.html , and am on step 6. How on earth do I SSH into the iPhone using terminal? I have tried typing ssh -l root 192.168.x.x . It then requests my password, which i type followed by enter. It then appears with "-sh-3.2", and whenever I type something in, it closes the connection :S
    Any help?

24. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

What password are you using? Im sure that the password when ssh-ing into iphone is "alpine"