Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c84216

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
Just as the title says, forget stock checks on the pencil and keyboard. Is anyone seeing the device itself with cellular? It seems like there's severe supply constraints on that model. I live in Dallas--not a small market--and I missed the iPad Pro's retail launch. I've seen stock of one iPad Pro cellular at one Apple Store on Wednesday. It was in gold which I don't care for. But that's it.

I'm curious if anyone else is seeing them at retail anywhere or if there's any inclination from the supply chain when we might see more at retail. Obviously tomorrow (Sunday) is a bust because no one gets deliveries then.

For what it's worth it looks like supplies on the 128 wifi aren't much better.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if everything is being (artificially) constrained.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Why would Apple prevent people from giving them money? Apple doesn't need the hype. It makes no sense.
Because we universally hate scalpers, so there's almost this moral obligation to out-play the scalpers, and Apple is more than eager to exploit that.

(I think they just underestimated what amount of stuff to produce, though, since it is a first-gen iPad...)

Reactions: haruhiko

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The cellular version except the black one was available last Sunday when I bought mine, but I just won't bring this giant thing out of my home. So I'm happy with the 128GB with wifi. The only problem is the Pencil. I don't care about the keyboard as I can use a Bluetooth keyboard first.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
It seems it's not only the cellular one. And you even have to pay extra to get it a few days earlier. I am getting the same dates for all versions in each color:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-22 um 10.06.25.png

Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-22 um 10.29.02.png

Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-22 um 10.30.08.png

If something is in stock it looks like that and you can't even choose express delivery:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-22 um 10.09.23.png

Strange, in the german store they offer only express delivery and it's for free:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-22 um 10.39.24.png

Last edited:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Because we universally hate scalpers, so there's almost this moral obligation to out-play the scalpers, and Apple is more than eager to exploit that.

(I think they just underestimated what amount of stuff to produce, though, since it is a first-gen iPad...)
Actually, scalpers work because of demand. If people would just chill and not so horny about an accessory, then things would work out. Scalpers would see no point in stocking unmoving inventory.

Reactions: haruhiko

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

The way to out-play the scalpers is to not artificially constrain supply. If there's plenty of supply available, the scalpers have no motivation to scalp because no one has a reason to pay higher prices.

There's no reason, at all, for Apple to constrain supply if they can help it, and I'm pretty sure they know that.

Jetfire

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Yes I have the Space Grey one. I got it the first day in store pickup. I ordered like 7:00 in the morning. I was going to be pissed if I didn't get it too. Since I was up at 3:00 and went back to sleep at 3:12 since it didn't go live. Only to find out in the morning that it went live at 3:14. Just check every morning at:8:00 when the stock refreshes. I've seen it available a number of days after at 8:00 for in store pickup.

goomba478

macrumors regular
May 10, 2012
I have one coming in on Black Friday (ordered 11/11) but I have yet to actually see one yet. :) can't wait!

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Just as the title says, forget stock checks on the pencil and keyboard. Is anyone seeing the device itself with cellular? It seems like there's severe supply constraints on that model. I live in Dallas--not a small market--and I missed the iPad Pro's retail launch. I've seen stock of one iPad Pro cellular at one Apple Store on Wednesday. It was in gold which I don't care for. But that's it.

I'm curious if anyone else is seeing them at retail anywhere or if there's any inclination from the supply chain when we might see more at retail. Obviously tomorrow (Sunday) is a bust because no one gets deliveries then.

Mine is being delivered to my house in 3 days (128GB Space Grey w/cellular).

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
I walked in to the store and got my space gray LTE. First day, No pre order. Lucked out.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I kept checking stock at my local Apple Store starting last Saturday morning and at about 1pm a 128gb cellular in silver became available and I jumped on it. They are there just not a lot of them for now.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
In the UK is 5-7 days deliver . Quite easy to get any iPad pro, the accessories are the problem

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Brilliant observation!

Tim: How many iPad Pros can we expect to sell at launch?

Marketing Guy: Tough to say for sure, but we figure easily 2 million units.

Tim: Ok, let's make 2 million units, but only release 1 million.

Marketing Guy: Why would we do that?

Tim: Duh! To make them seem popular and hard to get!

Marketing Guy: And then what?

Tim: Then we sell the second million!

Marketing Guy: But we can already sell all 2 million easily without any trickery. Wouldn't it be better if people saw 2 million Pros in the wild, to build excitement, rather than 1 million? It sure would make the stockholders happy.

Tim: Don't come to me with logic and reasoning. This is Apple. Our customers expect nonsense, and nonsense is what we will give them. Stockholders be damned.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
I think some new items are in short stock on release on purpose. Apple wants to use orders and just in time manufacturing in order to make the most profit possible by minimizing inventory.
Either that or it is artificially constrained on purpose which I don't beleive. Or the worst possible reason which is poor supply chain and manufacturing. What happened to Tim Cook being master of the supply chain?

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
I was able to buy a grey LTE model at the UTC store in San Diego on Monday as a walk in, but I think it was only one of two in SoCal that I saw. Only the 32s appeared to be plentiful. I haven't seen them in stock in Chicago.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I think some new items are in short stock on release on purpose. Apple wants to use orders and just in time manufacturing in order to make the most profit possible by minimizing inventory.
Either that or it is artificially constrained on purpose which I don't beleive. Or the worst possible reason which is poor supply chain and manufacturing. What happened to Tim Cook being master of the supply chain?
Who knows, but surely there's no logical reason that this is "intentional." No company is stupid enough to withhold sales.

Tim Cook IS the master of supply chain. There's no other manufacturers out there, not even Samsung, that can roll out a popular product (iPhone) in 12 major markets at once, including US, UK, Japan, Hong Kong, and China.

FallenLegend

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2015
Or maybe they just made a mistake?

Brilliant observation!

Tim: How many iPad Pros can we expect to sell at launch?

Marketing Guy: Tough to say for sure, but we figure easily 2 million units.

Tim: Ok, let's make 2 million units, but only release 1 million.

Marketing Guy: Why would we do that?

Tim: Duh! To make them seem popular and hard to get!

Marketing Guy: And then what?

Tim: Then we sell the second million!

Marketing Guy: But we can already sell all 2 million easily without any trickery. Wouldn't it be better if people saw 2 million Pros in the wild, to build excitement, rather than 1 million? It sure would make the stockholders happy.

Tim: Don't come to me with logic and reasoning. This is Apple. Our customers expect nonsense, and nonsense is what we will give them. Stockholders be damned.

ShawnTXDFW

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Dallas/Ft Worth
I to live in Dallas. Difference is I ordered through AT&T Next. Obviously as another user previously stated seems like all models are under constraint at this point. That being said AT&T Isn't shipping mine out until the 25th - 3rd. I ordered bright and early. I went and talked to AT&T here in Grand Prairie just to get an idea on how much my bill would be, and also was curious if they had any in stock. The rep from AT&T said they didn't have any in stock but he was able to get his last week. I'm guessing they get first dibs as employees but sucks I have to wait this long. I mean I guess it could be worse. AT&T is showing ship times now for all iPads between Dec 14th - 25th.

draughn101

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
You may have an easier time getting it from a carrier. TMobile has had a pretty decent supply.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I'm typing on my 128GB Silver LTE. Found it in a store on the Wednesday before the Friday "launch." I absolutely love it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.