Forget Swype for iPhone...Apple should do this...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applefanDrew, Jul 23, 2010.

1. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

It's called BlindType. It is amazing. I know that Steve would not approve this as an app or use it as the default keyboard, but that is to Apple's (actually, Apple's user's loss). Here is the link. What do you guys think?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20011365-1.html

2. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Wow that is REALLY REALLY cool! So I assume it works for a jailbroken iphone?

3. applefanDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, the guys said they will try the App Store. I'm sure they will be turned down though. :( :apple:

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

would not need to be jail broken if they are using a dev set up. A dev can set their iPhone to accept non approved apps for testing as far as i understand it.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

6. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

So everyone could theoretically pay $99 a year for a jailbroken but under contract iphone? Then people could "buy" apps on their computers and put them on their dev phones?

7. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

8. applefanDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Yea thats what the article said too.

edit: Yea kind of confusing.

9. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Hmm idk about this. For one, I feel like it'd make me slightly less intelligent and my spelling skizzles would disappear.

Plus, it looks like he didn't even type anything remotely close to what he was trying to say...and the program guessed it perfect;y? Idk seems odd.

10. dabomb665m macrumors regular

It's actually quite ingenious. The theory seems like it's based on the relationship between the distances of each letter that you type. Once they figure out what the keyboard should look like based on each key to subsequent key, the typed result is then compared to a database of known possible words you were likely to be typing.

I'm guessing there are two to three main algorithms that's making this thing work. It's a lot more advanced than the current iPhone keyboard.

A good way to think of it is to think of a solution to how one can create a number pad on a touch screen that doesn't require you to look at the screen to operate.

The solution is to make the first touch the center (5) and any subsequent drags to be based on the relationship to the 5. For example, press anywhere on the screen and let go to get 5. Press anywhere on the screen then move your finger up and let go to get 8. To get 4, touch anywhere and drag left, then let go. In this fashion, every number can be represented without ever having to look at the screen to touch a specific spot. Every number is calculated based on the relationship to the original touch input.

This keyboard is a highly advanced form of this concept mated to a guessing dictionary algorithm similar to the one already in the iOS. Every key press is calculated in relation to every previous key press in order to calculate what the USER's current "mental" keyboard may look like. That's why it can calculate orientation and size of what the user's mental keyboard may look like in real time, everytime. That's why it's more accurate than the iOS keyboard. It creates a virtual keyboard during the input of every word. The iOS keyboard is still restrained by the static location of the keys and therefore it can't guess beyond a certain extent of error. It can only guess the most common errors.

I still think it's pretty damn ingenious.

11. kr00k322 macrumors 6502

12. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

i think it's fake...

13. dabomb665m macrumors regular

What makes you think it's fake? What's being displayed on screen is perfectly plausible and easily implemented with the right amount of R&D. I just described how it could be achieved a few posts above. It's really not that hard of a concept to understand. Everytime you begin typing, the system recreates a keyboard based on the distance between the sequence of keys you pressed. After every screen touch, the system evaluates possible words and takes that into account when recreating the new virtual keyboard.

For example if you where to try to type "law", this is what the system most likely does in order.

First press would be a guess based on a "default" keyboard layout (perhaps the iphone default keyboard layout). So you attempt to press L. It doesn't matter if you actually hit "L". Then, you attempt to hit "A". Whether you actually hit "A" or not is irrelevant. What occurs now is they have an idea of the distance between your first press and the second press. Based on the info we have so far, they will guess what possible words would be near "L" and near "A". The possible solutions could be "LA" (based on what dictionary they are using to match). It could also be "OR" and it could also be "IT". The accuracy is not as high at this point but it can still be rectified by having a strong priority list when it comes to picking words from the dictionary (as or would be more common than LA). Next, you would attempt to type "W". Now the system has all the information it needs to make an educated guess at what word you want because it has another letter location in relation to the other two letters to "draw out the virtual keyboard". What comes next is an algorithm that suggests the most plausible word that you wanted to type based on the virtual keyboard that the system generated from your 3 screen touches. Think of it as a drawing. The accuracy of this system increases the more letters your word has.

Anyway, there's nothing to indicate it's fake...

14. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

15. vant macrumors 65816

16. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

This is cool.

How would this be integrated into the Apple software through an update if they approve it, would it be possible to turn on and off.

Or would it come in the form of an app that we have to select in order to type things using it

17. dabomb665m macrumors regular

most likely it will not even be approved. As it is right now, it's a note app that you need to run to even use the keyboard. What everyone wants is of course for apple to allow modification to the core keyboard stack so things like this can become native...

the only way that would happen would be from a jailbreak. The best case scenario would be they build an app that includes notes, paste to sms, paste to email, post to facebook/twitter etc like dragon dictation. If it becomes native, it will only be available for jailbroken phones.