Forgetting the passcode

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hashia, Nov 21, 2013.

1. hashia macrumors member

Hello

I've forgotten the passcode of my 4S (iOS 7) and my attempts have failed several times. So my iPhone is disabled now and I can't try more. (It's written: connect to iTunes)

Plz help me!

p.s: I need my data.

2. rMBP94 macrumors newbie

From my previous experiences, you'll have to restore it! If you have backed it up recently you will not lose anything but if not try and make a backup before hand (Not too sure if that's possible) Always worth a try though!

3. hashia thread starter macrumors member

Tnx. But the bigger problem is: after forgetting the passcode, I connected the iPhone to the iTunes and backed up my files. Now I think if I restore it, the forgotten passcode will remain on the phone. :(

4. rMBP94 macrumors newbie

He's forgot his passcode buddy, not his Apple ID!

----------

Oh I see, that could be an issue! It's always worth restoring it to new, then once its setup as a new phone restore it again from the back up! Have you got an older back up that you use try and use to check if it will work?

5. neilmacd macrumors 6502

Lol, sorry!

OP, try using the method mentioned here

Unless you had an encrypted backup it should restore without a passcode (according to that link).

6. hashia thread starter macrumors member

@rMBP94

I had an old back up. But unfortunately after forgetting the passcode, I backed up again and now the old backup is replaced with the new one, and I don't know whether a backup keeps the passcode or not.

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Everytime I restore from a backup, I'm asked if I want to create a password. I can choose to do so, and create a password, or choose not to do so and there is no password lock.

You should be able to restore from you backup. It won't carry the password over, so you'll be able to either no create one, or create one (and write it down this time).

8. hashia thread starter macrumors member

@neilmacd

I haven't checked the "Encrypt iPhone backup". If I was sure about what you said, I would take the risk and restore the phone.

----------

@Tyler23

You say you're asked if you want to create a passcode. But do you restore a backup which has a passcode?

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

My phone has a passcode - I back it up - I restore from backup - it asks me to create a passcode.

My backup itself is not encrypted with a passcode, if that's what you're asking. But I do have my phone passcode protected.

10. hashia thread starter macrumors member

Ok. Finally I attempted to restore! :D

But when I clicked on "Restore backup..." option, there was a message:

"Find My iPhone" must be turned off before iPhone can be restored. Go to iCloud settings on your iPhone before restoring your iPhone.

And you know that I don't have access to my iPhone. :(
    What should I do now?

11. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Keep trying potential passcodes.

Had you just created it and then forgot it? Or have you had the passcode for a while? Just trying to understand how one forgets their passcode..

If you just made it ,think of other passwords you've made recently. Maybe you've used the 4 number combination somewhere else.

12. hashia thread starter macrumors member

@Tyler23

Forget about trying passcodes. I've just made it, and I tried several possibilities. Now I'm block. It means it doesn't let me to try more passcodes.

And now my question is: When I choose "Restore iPhone..." or "Restore backup..." in iTunes, it says:

"Find My iPhone" must be turned off before iPhone can be restored. Go to iCloud settings on your iPhone before restoring your iPhone.

But I don't have access to my iPhone to turn off "Find My iPhone"!

13. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

14. hashia thread starter macrumors member

What is DFU restore? I'm a beginner. plz explain.

15. neilmacd, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013

neilmacd macrumors 6502

You could try removing the device from Find My iPhone using iCloud.com on your Mac/PC.

Click for instructions.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

17. hashia thread starter macrumors member

@neilmacd

I tried what you said. But in icloud.com when I click on "Find My iPhone", this message apears:

Can't load Find My iPhone. There was a problem loading the application.

I tried this method in 2 different computers with 2 different internet connections. The same message appeared.

I really don't know how to solve this complicated problem!

18. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

This is why you've gotta try to remember it. You just made it, you must have gotten the idea for the number somewhere.

Also, this is for your own protection. You wouldn't want someone to get a hold of your phone and be able to do what you're trying to do so easily, it would compromise all if your information.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That will not remove the passcode on the phone.

20. neilmacd macrumors 6502

Yeah, I know that.. It'll allow the OP to restore his phone in iTunes, allowing him to then restore from a backup and set up a new passcode.

To the OP, sorry you're not getting anywhere with this. I can't explain the iCloud error, I'm seeing it fine on my mac. But that is your next step.

Remove device from Find My iPhone, re-connect to iTunes, restore from backup.

21. hashia thread starter macrumors member

@Tyler23

I have the idea. But I don't have the permission. iPhone doesn't allow me to enter more passcodes.

----------

I would enter the correct passcode if I could try more. Can I have more chances?

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    Once you try so many many times then you're locked out for good.

23. kerrikins macrumors 65816

If iCloud.com isn't working then tbh I would seek assistance from Apple because that's a website issue that they should be able to help you with.

24. hashia thread starter macrumors member

two questions:

1- I have some data like "contacts" on iCloud. After restoring, how can I bring back these data from iCloud to my phone?

2- I have some important "notes" in my phone. When I go to iCloud and click the "notes" section, this message appears: "iCloud email needed." So I don't now if there is a copy my phone's notes on iCloud.

What should I do?

tnx.