Forgive an iTunes noob, but I have a question..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blown01NJ, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Blown01NJ macrumors member

When I sync in iTunes and I already have music on the phone, I dont wanna sync anymore. So I unchecked "sync music" and it says it will delete all my music off my phone if I have sync music unchecked.

Is that true? That is retarded. Also, if I change my music in my folders like delete something or add something, does itunes automatically pick that up or do I have to re-add the folder?

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Define "don't want to sync anymore". If it's just because you like what's on your iphone already just don't make any changes to what it's supposed to sync. The phone won't delete all your items and re-upload, it'll just make a quick check that everything's in order and be done.

And yes, the phone picks up on added or deleted music/folders. It also gives you the option of transferring files from your iphone back to the computer that you may have deleted.

3. Blown01NJ thread starter macrumors member

I mean yea I know what I have on there so I dont need to add anything so I went to uncheck sync music and it said it would delete anything on the iphone. Didnt make sense to me. I also deleted a folder from my DIR that is in the itunes library and all the songs are still showing up in itunes but dont work obviously.

4. cazlar macrumors 6502

When you talk about adding and deleting stuff in "folders", do you mean folders in the filesystem, or adding/deleting stuff in iTunes? If you mean just normal filesystem folders, then no, any changes you make there won't be seen by iTunes unless you tell it (or it goes to look for a file and can't find it because you deleted it).

The way iTunes is designed to work best is to let it manage and organise all your music. It will sort all the files internally into folders, but you don't ever really need to access them except via the iTunes interface. Now, if you don't want it to work this way, you can just have iTunes access your existing folder structure. But if you are able to give up the need to manually control file locations, I find it really is much nicer to just import any new music into iTunes, then just always access it through there.

5. Blown01NJ thread starter macrumors member

Well I am using itunes now as a way to listen to my music on my PC and of course to sync to my iphone.

I am however, always ADDING new music to my folers (filesystem folders) so I need itunes to constantly be updated to reflect those changes.

6. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

The best way to add new music to iTunes is to let iTunes manage your library (via preferences) and using the import option to add new music.

It sounds like your are adding music not through ripping CDs or another music store like Amazon, so the best way to do this is to set up a folder (like on the desktop somewhere) where your new music is downloaded to (if I'm assuming correctly). Then go to iTunes and import everything in that folder. Itunes, if the option to manage your library is checked, will copy the files to your iTunes folder, wherever that happens to be located. You can then delete out the files on the desktop. (This is not the easiest way I know, but the best way to keep your iTunes library up to date if you are not using some store that automatically imports your downloads (like Amazon)).

To delete files, delete them in iTunes, not through Windows Explorer (sounds like you're on a PC). iTunes will give you the option when you delete of removing the file just from iTunes or from the computer entirely.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Forget the whole file system thing, your music that is loaded onto your iPhone is not related to your folders on your computer in any way. Unless you create matching playlists (see below)

Also, when you uncheck "Sync Music" you are telling iTunes that you do not want music on your iPhone. It's that simple. So what you should do instead is leave the "Sync Music" option selected and below it select "Selected playlists:". Check and uncheck the playlists below according to what you want loaded.

What you want to do is manage your music on your iPhone using these playlists. If you are like me and manage your music in folders by genre, artist, and album, you can create smart playlists that mimic this.
    *For example, I have a smart playlist called "Christian." It contains all music where the Genre = Christian.

*I have another called "80's" where the year is between 1980 - 1989 (this took a lot of manual editing of my music to set the original release date....sometimes I hate greatest hits albums for this reason alone.)

*I also sync the included playlists such as "My Top Rated", "Top Most 50 Played" etc...

*Also, just to fill up more space and to not "ignore" some of my music, I have a random playlist that selects several hundred songs to load. These songs change everytime I sync so some of the music I listen to less often is not forgoten.

*I also have several manually created playlists.

I hope this is helpful.

Edit: And Deacon Graves post is one way of keeping iTunes in sync w/ your files. I personally do not like to let iTunes manage my music. But he's right about deleting the song through iTunes...that way the deletion is seen in iTunes. When adding new music, I often do it through Amazon. When I don't, I manually add it using "File -> "Add File to Libraray" or "Add Folder to Library". Moving music around gets very messy though.

8. Blown01NJ thread starter macrumors member

I dont use any playlists, I just have a music folder with folders separated by artist, then album.

I add new stuff every day so how do I get itunes to see the changes?

Also, I checked a bunch of music and just had itunes sync the songs I checked. Now, when Im just listening on my PC and I click the "party shuffle" playlist it only includes checked songs.

Thats dumb.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You should use playlists. As I mentioned previously, this is the best way to manage what music syncs from iTunes to your iPhone.

Like I said before, to get iTunes to recognize new music use:

"File -> "Add File to Libraray" or "Add Folder to Library"

I usually add a folder full of music at a time when I do it manually, so I just "Add Folder.."

Party shuffle does not include unchecked songs because unchecking a song basically means you don't want it to play (unless you use a smart playlist and don't check the option to ignore unchecked items.) I use this option to ignore songs I have duplicate copies of (for example the song exists on the original album as well as a Greatest Hits album or some compilation album I have.)

You need to take a step back, forget about how you think it should work, re-read our posts, then start over. I'll summarize:

*Use playlists to manage what syncs and doesn't sync to your iPhone
    *Only uncheck music you don't want to listen to
    *To add music to iTunes use "Add File/Folder to Library"

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You need to rethink your music collection. Forget folders. You don't need them. Think of your music as a library, and iTunes as the librarian. The librarian will take care of putting the music where it belongs, not you. Just drag any new music you get onto the iTunes icon on your dock or desktop. Edit the song titles/artists/etc from within iTunes, NOT on the file system level. You will be rewarded with an organized collection that is far more efficient to navigate via iTunes than rooting around in various folders.

11. Sincereh2001 macrumors member

Not really. You are making it much more difficult then it really is. Import songs to iTunes Library. When the iPhone is plugged in, go to music tab and check what you want on your phone. That's it. "Syncing" doesn't do anything unless you have changed something since the last time you synced. Easy :cool:

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I do both...I still like to have my files organized.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

T, FTFY

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

iTunes organizes music by artist. How is than not organized? I don't remember the last time I looked in my music folder.

15. TechJunky macrumors regular

Glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble with this.

I only use itunes to put stuff on my phone. I actually still prefer to use WMP for organizing and playing all my music. It simply monitors chosen locations and if anything gets added or deleted, it makes the change within the library. Easy breezy. It also doesn't seem to have as much trouble with album art. But I have yet to spend a lot of time with itunes, so I may change once I get the hang of things.

I agree with the OP that some things seem silly, like having to sync music when your don't want to add anything new. But that's just the apple way, not everything will make sense, just go with it.

16. DN7335 macrumors 6502

Might be a mac vs pc mindset thing...I think pc users are far more used to dealing with files in the file system directly than mac users are...pc users haven't gained the level of trust in the OS to let it do its job, so we like to see the specific file and folder so we know where stuff is.

Also I will say that there are times I want to use my mp3 files independently of iTunes, so I like knowing exactly where they are. I do let iTunes organize them however, but I go into the music folder and look around to see how its all structured so I can get to the file whenever I need to.
    If it weren't for the fact that MediaMonkey doesn't support the 2.x firmware yet and can't sync with an iphone, I would only use iTunes for video, podcasts, and apps. MM does a much better job in my opinion of organizing music than iTunes.

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

It's not silly, it's a misunderstanding on the OP's part.

If you make a playlist called iPhone and add a bunch of music to it, and sync that to the iPhone, you're done. The next time you sync, it won't sync your music again, unless you changed the playlist somehow.

You can add as many playlists as you want. I have 4 or so. I usually leave them as is on the phone. My syncs are quick...just iCal, photos, etc. If my playlists don't change, no music gets synced.

18. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

Noob question here, are playlists the only way of getting music onto the iPhone?

19. 61132 Guest

Nope, you can select "All" under the iPhone preferences under "Music"

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

WHAT?!? SERIOUSLY?!? It has nothing to do w/ Mac vs PC. Edit: I'm confused as you seem to agree with me that keeping the files arranged is also smart? Then why the Mac vs PC rhetoric???

If/when I want to touch the files for something other than playing them in iTunes (edit the files in using another program, migrate them to other computers, etc....) I like to be able to find them quickly. iTunes is not the only interface/program I use that touches my music.

21. TechJunky macrumors regular

It's not rhetoric. I agree. Windows has made us untrusting and I personally must know exactly what is going on with my files, and where they are. Plus knowing this I can easily share files, email them, etc. And if I ever want to switch media players, no problem.

Upon closer examination I realize this isn't true. I'm not sure what the OP is talking about. I have no problems highlighting what I want, and dragging it to my iphone. It doesn't do anything to the files that are already there. But I'm still an itunes noob, so maybe I'm missing something.