Forgive me Apple, for I have sinned...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by guch20, Dec 23, 2011.

1. guch20, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011

guch20 macrumors 6502

guch20

I bought my wife a Nook Color for Christmas. She always wants to use my iPad 2, so I thought I should get her her own tablet. The Kindle Fire is getting mostly crap reviews, and the Nook Tablet is just a very slightly updated Nook Color, so I just got the Nook Color.

Understand, I wanted to get her an iPad or an iPad 2, but it's been a rough couple months financially, so I just couldn't afford it. It sucks though, because as a huge Apple fan, the thought of adding to the sales numbers of "me too" Android tablets makes me feel sick.

How many Hail Mary's do I need to do to cleanse myself of this sin?

Edit: this story has a happy ending. Read my update below. My soul has been saved! Lol

2. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

When in doubt, always pick the Apple product, especially for someone who has already shown an interest in it. 99.9% of the time it's your safest bet - in terms of ease of use, ecosystem, customer service and support.

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Ask your wife after she opens it Christmas morning and sees it's not an iPad. :eek:

4. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

It's not that he was doubtful about which one to buy. The financial circumstances is what led to the Nook purchase.

5. jackrv macrumors 6502

Think of it as a low cost holdover until the iPad 3 comes out.

6. boriscolombia macrumors member

that's exactly what I did, it was my wife's birthday on the 20th and I wanted to give her a tablet, so I got her the nook tablet explaining that we could get an ipad 3 when it came out, (because its not worth getting the 2 now) but surprisingly she loved the NT and says she will keep it because she loves the size. so there is not as much as a sin but more like not the right time to give an ipad.

7. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I had a nook color, Motorola zoom, galaxy tab first gen, and galazy tab 10.1. Returned everyone of them. Bought an iPad 2 and I will never part with this till it starts getting slow. I wishi had an iPad first lol.

8. guch20 thread starter macrumors 6502

guch20

Exactly. Of course, now I'm scouring the used market on Craigslist like mad.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

Some sins just can't be washed away. Give her your iPad 2 :)

10. guch20 thread starter macrumors 6502

guch20

But then I'll be stuck with a Nook! Some fates are worse than death, and this is one of them.

11. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Getting a used or refurb iPad first gen is only a little more expensive, but a lot better, than a Nook.

12. Chris in IL macrumors newbie

My wife actually prefers her Galaxy Tab 7" over the iPad. And she just bought a Galaxy Nexus phone even though I tried to talk her into an iPhone 4S. After using these products I don't agree with her choices at all, but to each their own.

Your wife may actually like a smaller 7" tablet like the Nook better than the larger, heavier iPad.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

LOL.

Maybe you have time to change it from a Nook to an iPad 2. :)

Or give her yours considering your financial situation.

14. JoeSixPack macrumors member

JoeSixPack

And let us know how that couch works out for you - unless she actually asked for the other product by name but even that might have been a trap, er I mean, test.

15. Sdreed91 macrumors 6502

His deeds will not be forgiven until he merits". Nah I'm just playing. Like others have said it is a hold on device.

16. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You may repent by buying me the ipad3 when it comes out.:D

17. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

I would buy a dented, scratched, box-less iPad 1 before I went near any other tablet.

Every tablet I've touched has paled by comparison to iPad.

18. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I can appreciate the financial hardships during these times. But, if it were me, and my wife, I would figure out a way to buy her the iPad. Knowing my wife, if I purchased her the Nook for Christmas, she would tell me how much she loves it, etc. But, I would know deep down, it wasn't what she really wanted and hoped for. Maybe it's just me, but that would bug the heck out of me knowing that. Yeah, I would figure out a way to make it happen for her to have an iPad for Christmas. No, I am not whipped, I just love my wife and enjoy making her happy.

19. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

To me you sin wasn't buying her a Nook tablet. It was buying her something that you wouldn't be prepared to use yourself. I would prepare for you restitution to be using that nook, while she uses her iPad.

20. guch20 thread starter macrumors 6502

guch20

UPDATE:

I returned the Nook and was going to buy a used iPad when, by chance, I saw a news story that some Sprint customers are being given an early upgrades, as long as you qualify and as long as you do it before the 31st. My wife has a Nexus S, and she hates it. But she wasn't due for an upgrade til July.

I called my local Sprint store and they said she doesn't qualify. On my way to work this morning, on a hunch, I stopped by the Sprint store near my work and found out she qualifies! I guess they just don't do it over the phone (?).

Anyway, tomorrow morning, she's going to wake up to a shiny new 16GB white iPhone 4S! In the meantime, she's gonna wonder why her current phone isn't working. Luckily, it's been glitching like mad lately so she will hopefully think it just crapped out on her.

I just hope she doesn't stop by the local Sprint store to see why it doesn't work.

21. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

22. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

23. Capt T macrumors 6502a