Forgive me, but Apple TV + Mavericks = wireless external display?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ItHurtsWhenIP, Sep 13, 2013.

1. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

Title says it all. Just need quick yes/no on this and I'll go away. :D

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Yes... ish.

I wouldn't use it for gaming or high quality video, but yes.

3. ItHurtsWhenIP, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

ItHurtsWhenIP thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

Was just thinking occasional web surfing (including a YouTube video here and there) mixed in with maybe a little editing in Lightroom..all my gaming is done on XBox (which I also use for Netflix when I do use it).

Sounds like it'll be just fine for that..plus, a good reason to try out the Henge Clique keyboard/trackpad combo I've been looking at.

4. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

I would not use it for "actual work", unless your job involves producing videos, and you want to try and watch it on a bigger screen.

I definitely would not try to type a word document in it, or any other work of that nature. The choice is yours though, if you want to do that, you can.

5. ItHurtsWhenIP thread starter macrumors 6502

What makes it not recommended for "actual work"?

Lag? Display quality? What's limiting it?

6. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

It just does not look quite right in the finder, applications with text and such. I don't know, maybe its just MY 7 year old TV?

Or maybe its just 50" is too big for me? Mabye if it were a much smaller television, and not mounted on the wall it might be different?

Also, I might be be so used to the laptop.

I guess it's OK, I am trying it out in that manner more extensively after reading this forum and I guess it might be OK for some people to use this way.

7. ItHurtsWhenIP thread starter macrumors 6502

Appreciate the insight.

I wonder if maybe refresh rate might affect it? I know my TV is 2 years old now, but it does have a PC mode and a 120hz refresh rate, which might help?

Is there any problem switching from laptop resolution to match your TV's? Might that account for the text and whatnot looking out of sorts?

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

No matter what you do, the signal from the Mac is compressed on the fly and sent out. So you wouldn't want to use it for any photo or video work, regardless of the quality of the TV. You could, after all, attach an Apple TV to a top quality computer monitor and it wouldn't change the fact that the image being sent is lower quality. It's just not going to be the same as if you connected your Mac directly to the TV.

Web browsing is fine, any kind of text work, YouTube videos. But if you want to watch a movie, you'd be better off navigating to your library on the Apple TV and streaming it directly.

There's no problem with the resolution - 21-inch iMacs are TV resolution and aspect ratio.

9. zamudiovsky macrumors regular

Does the RAM on the MBP matter for dual screen with Apple TV? Or it would be the same with 2GB or 4GB?

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just to add the AppleTV (and almost all consumer devices) output YCrBr (16-235) 4:2:0 8bit video. This far inferior to a PC's uncompressed RGB.

11. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

True - but definitely not the weakest link in the chain. Apple TV output can look much better than what it gets from Mavericks Airplay Display.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You are correct and I was not even thinking about the extreme data compression of AirPlay. However the degradation is cumulative so this is added to the AirPlay compression.

13. zamudiovsky macrumors regular

I tested watching a movie on my Apple TV streamed from Mavericks, It wasn't that bad…the quality of the video was 720p and it looked good. The only thing is that every 25 to 30 minutes the audio and video would freeze for about 2 seconds and then return to normal. I would use it to stream high quality videos.

14. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

It works fine to my Samsung 60" LED, I do not expect wired results but the wireless has minimal lag on my network and picture quality from my '13 MBA looks good.

It's not something I personally would use on a day to day basis but it's neat to have the option if and when I ever do use it.

The best option I could see for it is if I had EyeTV or something where I could watch LiveTV on my Mac and streaming that to my Office Television while working on my desktop.

15. MrGimper macrumors 68040

MrGimper

The lag is noticeable but not too bad. I have both my 47" LG 3D TV and mac connected to the same time capsule over wifi.

I've used it a lot for playing CBT video on the TV whilst doing the practical stuff and following along on the main screen.

16. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

Here at my home we do use AirPlay for www.Movie$#@#4k.to to stream movies. (No that link is not going to work).

That website streams in somewhat poor quality, but it is what it is, and works for what it is. For that reason, and for that site, the any degradation of quality or compression is not really an issue.

Netflix, Hulu, and Xfinity seem to work just fine. I just don't like the idea of using it as an external monitor...Heck, I think in the 1.5 years or so that I have had my 27" Thunderbolt display, I have only used it a dozen times or so. I am SOOO out of Desktop Computing mode, its not even funny.

17. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I have my treadmill Apple TV 3 and my Mac mini connected via ethernet (indirectly), and the Apple TV + TV works fine as an external display for video, usually 1080p H.264 video played over a Plex window moved to the extended 3rd display. The quality is very good, certainly good enough for the 27" Vizio 1080p LED TV in front of my treadmill.

And in fact, video is one of the few things I find it useful for--or static windows of any sort, like sports scores or stock tickers, or even presentations. I find there is too much lag, even over a hardwired connection, for actual work or web browsing to be anything but annoying. You could do it in a pinch, but there's no need. I have two actual monitors (27" 2560x1440 and 23" 1080p) for actual work. When I want to monitor something on the third or watch a video while running, I can extend to the Apple TV 3.