Forgive me if this is obvious, but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by murdercitydevil, Jul 1, 2010.

1. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

So everyone keeps saying the antenna problem is a result of skin-on-metal contact. More specifically, the issue presents itself when the two antennas (separated by the seam on the bottom left corner) are bridged. For me, at least, touching the metal band and death gripping it all I want does nothing to my signal, provided the seam isn't bridged. But as soon as the two antennas are connected, bars disappear. In fact, I just tested this without even using my finger. I put the phone down flat on my desk, 5 bars, and joined the two antennas with a paper clip. Down to 1 bar in about 15-20 seconds.

If that's the case, then doesn't a software fix seem completely possible? Couldn't the engineers modify how the antennas communicate with each other, or how they behave when they are bridged? Doesn't it make sense that Apple would at least consider this prior to issuing a recall or something else ridiculous?

Or are they just that greedy that they'll deny it and force people to buy bumpers? It's like their ****-up was a golden opportunity in disguise.

2. jbcraigs macrumors newbie

Once you bridge/short them, the antenna ceases to exist anymore. This is what seems to be the issue with iPhone 4. So a software fix will do nothing in this situation.

3. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Hence, the reason for the split antennas!?

4. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

"<loud buzzing sound> Sorry, wrong answer..."

Attached Files:

5. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

lol! - Sorry I can't contribute more to this thread XD

6. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Was expecting someone to do an antenna/Star Wars tie-in...

"These are not the antennas you're looking for..." or something close to it. ;)

7. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

yeah...I don't even know what to say either.

8. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Gotta love it when an arrogant and WRONG responder is handed their head in 11 minutes. :D