forgot administrator user name

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ScotRobson, Sep 22, 2008.

1. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Hi all. Had a few problems with my iMac and now on start up it's asking for name and password before it was on automatic login

Is there any way to get round this?

For some reason I can't start up from the install disc holding down the c key so I don't know what else to try

Thanks
    Scot

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Try booting from the Leopard installer DVD and resetting the password for the account. If that doesn't solve the problem then you need to do an Archive and Install.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The Admin name should just be your name. You don't have to use the short name, you can use your full name.

TEG

4. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't do either of those cause it won't boot up from the install disc. :-(

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What happens when you try? What process are you using?

6. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

from the login screen that I can't get passed. Pressing restart and holding down the c key. My mac just loads back to the log in screen again

I had a problem where my mac would not boot up at all so I tried an archive and install which failed. That time it booted to the install disc. I don't know why it won't now

I've also tried my full name but that didn't work either

7. ehurdler macrumors member

Did you try booting up with holding the 'Option' key? You should be able to choose the boot media from there. Try resetting the password as Peace stated.