Forgot how great Apple's older Macs are

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dotdotdot, May 20, 2011.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Now that my MacBook Pro (Mid-2010) is being repaired by Apple because of a trackpad issue, I am using my old Black MacBook from 2007.

I completely forgot how well made and great this computer is. The keyboard, the build quality, the screen, everything is really great. It's over four years old, and is running completely smooth.

In my closet I have an iMac G3 and a PowerMac G3. The iMac is running OS 9, but it works smoothly as well, connecting to my home internet and performing tasks quickly, despite its age. The PowerMac, running OS X 10.1, shows its age more, but still works just fine.

I definitely think this Black MacBook is one of the greatest computers Apple has ever made, and returning to it makes me wonder if, despite the unibody construction and better materials of the new computers, Apple will ever make a computer this great again.

2. iLucas macrumors 6502

I have the same MacBook in white and i agree abouty what you say about it. I also have some older macs that all work very smoothly. I have no problem using older macs on a day to day basis.

3. fernandovalente macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

I totally agree. I miss aqua, stability and velocity from Tiger. I really miss other stuff from old Macs too. I'm not happy with the Apple from now. It seems like they don't really care about the Macs. All they think about is iPad and iPhone. Even the iPod is not their focus anymore. And these rumors about Apple replacing the Mac with the iPad. Oh, come on! iPad sucks and I love computers. I'm even considering creating my own OS in the future(in case Apple screws up the Mac/discontinue it).

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Apple's current range of computers is ugly. The black and silver looks hideous IMO - whatever happened to the nice single colour machines?

The old MacBook Pro with silver keyboard was so nice. Why do they have to spoil the look of their machines with horrible black plastic?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a Macintosh Color Classic sitting on a shelf on my book case. I fire that baby up once in a blue moon, I also have a G4 Cube that I run from time to time.

Its amazing how well both run, if I had the desk space, I'd have the G4 hooked up and running more often. It lags under OSX but it absolutely flies under OS9

6. remmy macrumors 6502a

Still use my ibook G4 when out. Really well built but it is quiet heavy.