Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

adibear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
So like an idiot, I totally spaced on my iphone password. I have a 3GS, and it's jailbroken. I heard I would have to factory restore it on my computer to remove the password, but would that remove the jailbreak? I can't afford to lose the jailbreak :( Is there any other way to bypass the password?

Senex

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Northern Indiana, USA
So like an idiot, I totally spaced on my iphone password. I have a 3GS, and it's jailbroken. I heard I would have to factory restore it on my computer to remove the password, but would that remove the jailbreak? I can't afford to lose the jailbreak :( Is there any other way to bypass the password?

Any reason why you couldn't just restore, re-sync, and re-jb? It would be laborious, but would put you back to the same position minus the lost passcode.

adibear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Any reason why you couldn't just restore, re-sync, and re-jb? It would be laborious, but would put you back to the same position minus the lost passcode.

I'm a noob and I don't know anything about what the factory restore would do. In other words, what version of the software will it go back to? How will I know if it can be re-jailbroken? Also, I am a poor student and I am trying to avoid having to go pay to get it jailbroken again.

Senex

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Northern Indiana, USA
I'm a noob and I don't know anything about what the factory restore would do. In other words, what version of the software will it go back to? How will I know if it can be re-jailbroken? Also, I am a poor student and I am trying to avoid having to go pay to get it jailbroken again.

(A) Plug your phone into your PC or Mac
(B) Under the "Summary" tab in iTunes, choose to "Restore" your phone
(C) Back-up your phone as prompted.
(D) Restore your phone from backup by syncing
(E) Download the latest version of redsn0w (Google it)
(F) Perform a jailbreak of your device with redsn0w (follow the directions)
(G) D--k around in Cydia and reinstall the tweaks/apps you like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.