Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Forgot iTunes backup pasword, how can I unlock it?

Jimsbandy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2015
Hello, I'm new here for help, I can't access to my iTunes backup, I forgot the password and can't remember it at all, I erased all content and settings on my iPhone by accident and now I can't restore my previoius iTunes backup, I want to unlock iTunes or recover the password, how ? ? ?

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Can't really help you with that.

But I'm always curious about the people who "accidentally" Erase All Contents and Settings.

Considering that there's several prompts that require you to press OK in order to even start that process, I always wonder what people are thinking (or not) when presented with all those prompts.

Comment

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Pretty sure you have to enter your password in order to Erase All Contents and Settings....

Edit: Now that I think of it that's probably not the same password.

Comment

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Answer the security questions and you can reset the password on the account... otherwise you're out of luck.

Reactions: ABC5S
Comment

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Pasadena, CA
OP is talking about a password protected backup I think, not the LogIn once you restore your phone.

With that being said, I don't believe there is a way to recover the backup.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Comment

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
OP is talking about a password protected backup I think, not the LogIn once you restore your phone.

With that being said, I don't believe there is a way to recover the backup.

Whoops, I missed that part of it ...you're absolutely right.

Comment

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Hello, I'm new here for help, I can't access to my iTunes backup, I forgot the password and can't remember it at all, I erased all content and settings on my iPhone by accident and now I can't restore my previoius iTunes backup, I want to unlock iTunes or recover the password, how ? ? ?
Can't be done I'm afraid. The backup encryption is air tight. Unless you somehow remember the password, you're never restoring that backup.

Comment

Dentienly

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
Thanks for all replies, but I really can't remember at all, are there some software can crack the iTunes backup?

Comment

uricili

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2014
The only workable method is to guess all the possible combinations. There is no other way around. Do it yourself or use auto program to do that. Check out this itunes backup password recovery tutorial, it should do some help. As there are positive reviews from the users.

Last edited:
Comment

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Let this be a teaching moment. Download a password manager and start storing your passwords. If you want to get fancy, let it generate random passwords and have them save it.

Before I had 1password I used the iCloud Keychain :)

Reactions: old-wiz
Comment

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
These threads are amusing. How can it be that you forget a password? Seriously.

I forgot my password for a credit card.
Oh wait, I was suffering from a concussion.
8 days later I remembered it. Bet your butt that I now have a password list.

Comment

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
There's no way you can erase all your content and settings by "accident". It asks "are you sure" at multiple times before it erases. This whole post is suspect.

Reactions: ABC5S and Boyd01
Comment

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Pasadena, CA
I know that...I question whether it's really necessary for encrypted backups when it's your phone that we're talking about. Just saying...

I agree with you that I don't care if my backups are encrypted but if you want to save your health data it forces you to use encryption.

Comment

posguy99

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
I know that...I question whether it's really necessary for encrypted backups when it's your phone that we're talking about. Just saying...

If you want email passwords backed up, you have to encrypt the backup. Do you want your passwords in an unencrypted backup?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.