Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shakenbake158

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Hey guys my cousin is in a bit of a predicament, she has an older Macbook air, the one from 2008 that she has since stopped using after she bought her new Macbook Pro.

Anyways, she said that I could use the Macbook for college until I can decide and buy an ultrabook for class.

So what do I do if she has no idea what the password is?

Could I just reinstall OSX? Because she doesnt need any of the data off it.

Please help me figure it out if you have any idea what I can do.

Thanks!

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Hey guys my cousin is in a bit of a predicament, she has an older Macbook air, the one from 2008 that she has since stopped using after she bought her new Macbook Pro.

Anyways, she said that I could use the Macbook for college until I can decide and buy an ultrabook for class.

So what do I do if she has no idea what the password is?

Could I just reinstall OSX? Because she doesnt need any of the data off it.

Please help me figure it out if you have any idea what I can do.

Thanks!

Yes, you can just reinstall OS X. It will be easy if your cousin has a bootable USB drive. If not, you can Google how to create one...there are a lot of different ways.

Shakenbake158

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Yes, you can just reinstall OS X. It will be easy if your cousin has a bootable USB drive. If not, you can Google how to create one...there are a lot of different ways.

Alright, cool thanks. I wasn't sure if you had to have the password to reinstall OSX, but that cleared it up.

Thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.