Forgot master password!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by veroniquej, Oct 15, 2008.

1. veroniquej macrumors newbie

I forgot my Master Password on my old mac that I haven't used in forever. I need to access some files on it, is there a way to crack this? The hint box is no help!

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Do you have an OS to boot from? If so install the CD and reboot holding down the C key. This should make it boot up from the CD. Then you should go to utilities and chose reset password.

3. veroniquej thread starter macrumors newbie

Will this clear out all of my saved information on the hard drive?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

No it will not clear anything. The previous poster was not talking about doing a re-install or anything--- just booting with the installation disk and selecting the Reset Password (or similar- it has been a long time since I have seen that) in the menus that are accessible when you get to the first installer screen.

5. veroniquej thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't seem to work.

There wasn't an option to reset password when I booted with the tiger CD. I went through the install, and it still takes me to the initial log in page where I need the master pass... any ideas on how to get around this? :(

6. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

I'm assuming that you are referring to the master password for the FileVault encryption system. If so, and you can't remember either the user's password or the master password (if you assigned one), you are SOL; the only way to decrypt the drive image would be to brute force the password using something like vilefault.

If you are not using FileVault and just need to reset the user's login, the options should be under one of the menus once you boot off the Tiger install CD (IIRC, the menu is called Tools or Applications).

7. veroniquej thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I've done it.

Ahh! Is there a way to recover files on a reloaded OS?? When I loaded the OS disk, I hit Archive & Install and it reset all my settings and went back to basics. I just need to recover the old files on the desktop.

Thanks/