Forgot my password

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smitty8202, Feb 20, 2011.

1. smitty8202 macrumors member

smitty8202

Ok si have read apple's site and did a search on here and i kinda dont want to reeinstall the os but if i have to i will. so my question is if i do will i lose all my data, like my songs in itunes and the things i have in xcode? if i do i have my i tunes backed up on cd's but what about xcode?

2. smitty8202 thread starter macrumors member

smitty8202

by doing this will i lose all my data? And what is a keychain password?

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'm assuming you just forgot your user password, basically you cannot log into the computer. Correct?

If so, that just resets the password, nothing else. Your files won't be touched.

4. smitty8202 thread starter macrumors member

smitty8202

its not to log into the computer its self i am trying to install something and i need my password to do it. i did as it said and nothing

5. leftyMac macrumors regular

when I put a new SSD and moved the home folder, I got locked out, and I faced a similar situation. if you google, you can find a method to add another fresh user account.

set it to be admin, then you can login as admin to fix your issues and add applications for all users. you won't lose any data.

6. smitty8202 thread starter macrumors member

smitty8202

so i went to reinstall mac os x and it asked me for my password. that is my problem i forgot my password so how do i get it back?

7. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

It might be a capitalization issue in the password. You might not be typing a capital letter when you supposed to. Reading your post, you seem to have that problem. Just saying...

8. leftyMac macrumors regular

when you boot from your OS X install disk, one of the top menu options (I can't remember which one, "utilities" perhaps?) has something like "reset password".

9. smitty8202 thread starter macrumors member

smitty8202

I figured it out. I watched a youtube video on it. Worked like a charm. Now i can install my downloads.