Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Today I came across two disk images on an abandoned external hard drive in my car. The images were created using Disk Utility and are encrypted with the less secure option. Is there a way to get around this encryption as I've forgotten the password. It's got some documents and photographs on them which I'd really love to get back. I could probably guess x amount of words that may have been used. Nothing more than that though.

I of course expect that there is nothing I can do other than a brute force hack but obviously... not likely to get anywhere. Thanks for any help though.

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It's protected by AES 128 or AES 256. Unless you guess the password you are not going to break the encryption.

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
You have 3 options:

1. Remember the password.

2. Call the NSA and ask really nicely if they've been able to break AES encryption. If you're really nice about it and you sign a confidentiality agreement, perhaps they'll let you know if they have been able to break it, and if so, maybe take a look at your file for you.

3. Buy several hundred thousand years of runtime on a supercomputer and try to brute force it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.