Forgot phone at home, watch didnt tell me :(

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by shayneox, Oct 5, 2015.

1. shayneox macrumors member

shayneox

I had thought it was going to be a feature where if you forget your phone, you get a beep and tap....guess I was wrong, or is it a hidden feature?

Good thing is I have WiFi in the office and I can message wife and friends and let them know.
    That part seems to work great and the voice too text is pretty solid.

Should be an interesting day testing the watch solo.

2. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Nope, no feature to alert if the phone is out of range, at least not yet. There is a feature to ping your phone if it's in range through, which just makes a loud noise.

3. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

If you hold the ping button the LED on the iPhone starts to flash, too.

4. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Thanks! Didn't know that.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm glad that isn't a feature because it would be notifying me all the time that my watch is out of range from the phone. Whether I'm going out for a run, or walking to a co-workers cubicles. I find myself out of range of my phone frequently.

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

It would be nice if you got a notification so that you don't leave your phone at home, or in a cab, or at a restaurant. Not a continuous notification if you leave it on purpose, but a disconnect that you had to recognize would be nice.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The watch does tell you in a way by showing the little box with a cross through it to show it is not connected to the phone. No doubt I have done that before, many times

8. Expidia macrumors member

Expidia

That would be an excellent feature. Like if you left your phone on a bench or on a bar or restaurant table. Leaving house without phone by error. Doesn't seem like that big a feature to build in.
    You get to near the edge of the phone/watch range and the pinging on the watch starts gradually getting louder.

Feature could be put in sleep mode for 30, 60 90 minutes for those times you know you will be away from phone, but still are wearing the watch.

I would trade up iphone models sooner if a new iphone had that feature built in.

9. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

It would be a nice feature that could be based on location. Say you want it off while at the office, but you want it on elsewhere. Some good opportunities here Apple.

10. Expidia macrumors member

Expidia

Sadly, now this feature will probably appear in the next android device and won't appear in an apple device without the obligatory 5 year lawsuit for patent infringement for apple stealing a feature from android or visa versa :rolleyes:

11. ougum macrumors regular

My Samsung Gear two would alert me if I lost connection to my phone, and my Pebble would as well. Wish my Apple Watch had this feature. Maybe an app will come along that will allow this.

12. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Well having the option would be nice. You could always turn it off.

13. shayneox thread starter macrumors member

shayneox

Yeah, I remember my Pebble having the feature, and it was very handy.

The day without my phone was not too bad; I was still able to chat with wife. So aside from missing the weight in my pocket and mild panic attacks when I couldn’t find my phone throughout the day, it went well.

It was the first time in 2.5 years that I have forgotten it.

14. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Well, part of this isn't exactly so.. :) If you are on wifi in the office, the watch isn't out of range of the phone. I've been a long way from my desk/phone and the watch is happy.

For a run, okay, I'll give you that one...

15. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

Yeps,

At times when I leave my wallet back home, I miss it less than when I leave my phone back : feel 'disconnected' with the world around me ;-)

Cheers !

16. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

I would love this as an option you could turn off!!

17. OBirder macrumors member

I agree it would be great to be able to configure it.

I would like a notification when the watch disconnected from Bluetooth and WiFi.