Forgot the answers to security questions. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zansaif, Sep 18, 2012.

1. zansaif macrumors newbie

I can't purchase anything from the Appstore from my Macbook Pro because after I enter my Apple ID and Password it asks me to answer two security questions which I've forgotten to answer. To reset the answers I have to know them too!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yeeeeah… First, we have no way of helping you. Only Apple can help you.

Second, we have no way of knowing if you're even telling the truth, or if you're trying to figure out a way of hacking someone's account. Again, that's why it's up to Apple. Call/email/chat the support line.

jW

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You could be screwed for a while...with the recent breach of that reporter for wherever (too lazy to look it up) that got his ID swiped via social engineering Apple is not changing IDs or questions over the phone now - until they get a better process. Some folks that have forgotten their AppleID password and questions are SOL....getting a new iPhone 5 and can't connect it to their old account!

4. zansaif thread starter macrumors newbie

I already emailed Apple and haven't gotten an answer.

So if I were to make a new email address, and make it my primary Apple ID (If that is even possible. Is it?) I can enter new security question answers and this will be solved?

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You'll be able to get new Apps but won't be able to redownload those you already purchased. I'd suggest keeping an encrypted file of login info or use a secure password manager like 1password. That way you only need to know one strong password.

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I use 1Password to generate random answers to the questions... then store them within the 1password app.

It was humorous one day when a site asked me for the name of my first pet, and I answered something like: kiU%nzA6nfoHep8$qNYj

/Jim