Forgot to close window, rain, any damage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KoolAid-Drink, Dec 7, 2013.

1. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

So I was stupid yesterday and left my window open slightly, next to my MBP (non-Retina) resting on the nightstand next to my bed. I was out working all day, so I didn't have a chance to go back home. In the meantime, it was raining all day. The MBP wasn't directly exposed to the rain - and water wasn't coming into my room. However, when I arrived home, my laptop felt slightly "moist" without having any water on it - similar to being in a humid environment.

Once I used the MBP, however, it worked just fine and as normal as always, and it's now completely dry and humming along merrily. Should I be concerned that there's any hidden or non-obvious damage to the computer?

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Was it only "moist" on the outside or the keyboard?

You probably dodged a bullet though its possible the moisture did make it to the logic board but not enough to short it out. You may have dodged a bullet but its unknown if there will be any long term ramifications

3. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

its fine. Try stress testing it. I doubt you got any rain damage if there was no signs of water on the mac

4. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

What is stress testing?

5. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

like running a lot of programs so it warms up and you hear the fans going. The heat would probably dry anything that is wet in there and it SHOULD be fine, I'm not an expert at this time just taking an educated gues

6. Cooks919 macrumors newbie

If water got into the computer, turning it on and stressing it would be the last thing I would do. Same reason you should keep a phone off if you drop it into water, it needs to be dry before you start it up again. Water and electricity do not mix well...especially in electronics.

7. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Thank you, I didn't know there was a term for that. :)

8. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

op said it ran fine so that is out of the equation. it is completely dry so no harm stress testing

9. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

An update:

Since then, my laptop has worked just fine with absolutely no issues or weirdness (knock on wood). I made sure to run AHT diagnostics, as well as examining my HD for any issues; none found. Time will tell if any weirdness or issues occur, but for now, I think I did dodge a bullet.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! :)